Two years old and officially a boy

Allison Gray

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix area of Arizona
Your tortoise is beautiful! I have had my first leopard tortoise since it was 8 weeks old and it's now six months old. I'm amazed at how large yours had become in two short years! I'm well aware of how large they will become and am equipted and excited for that. I'm just really surprised by your pictures. Thank you so much for posting them. Here is my little " Ginger" at six months. What do you think about her growth? I've noticed the shutes are looking a bit raised around the edges. Normal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 14

Alaskamike

South Florida
Your tortoise is beautiful! I have had my first leopard tortoise since it was 8 weeks old and it's now six months old. I'm amazed at how large yours had become in two short years! I'm well aware of how large they will become and am equipted and excited for that. I'm just really surprised by your pictures. Thank you so much for posting them. Here is my little " Ginger" at six months. What do you think about her growth? I've noticed the shutes are looking a bit raised around the edges. Normal?
Her shutes are raised more than I would guess if raised in a humid enclosure and well hydrated.

I've never raised numerous Leopards at once , but several here have and noted that in identical environments , some start that pyramiding and some do not. Might have to do with how much they hang out under the heat.

Check your temps under the UVB or CHE ( whichever you use ). I never let mine above 95 f on the top of shell when they sit under it. You'd need a lazer heat gun to check this. Great tool for many things.

I have a 3 yo Leopard with some pyramiding - came that way. And though he is raised in an outdoor pen , I rub his shell with Extra Virgin Coconut oil once a week anyway. Helps hold in moisture in the caprice.
This is not accepted by everyone - but I'm convinced it helps. Time will tell.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Alison, I think your baby has a lovely colour and she appears to be a bit bumpy, but as mentioned it may have nothing to do with what you are doing . As long as you are following the care sheets and doing your best to adhere to good husbandry, that is better than most tortoises get in captivity.
I'm not an expert, not even a novice. I rely heavily on the experience and knowledge of the forum members that have years of experience and trust Benny to fill in the gaps.
He's a spoiled baby and he is pretty big from what I have seen, heard on here. We weren't as prepared as you, so you are one up on us in that you knew you were getting a really big pet. I thought I was getting an animal that would get to be about ten inches and maybe five pounds. Imagine my surprise!!!

Allison Gray

5 Year Member
Phoenix area of Arizona
Her shutes are raised more than I would guess if raised in a humid enclosure and well hydrated.

I've never raised numerous Leopards at once , but several here have and noted that in identical environments , some start that pyramiding and some do not. Might have to do with how much they hang out under the heat.

Check your temps under the UVB or CHE ( whichever you use ). I never let mine above 95 f on the top of shell when they sit under it. You'd need a lazer heat gun to check this. Great tool for many things.

I have a 3 yo Leopard with some pyramiding - came that way. And though he is raised in an outdoor pen , I rub his shell with Extra Virgin Coconut oil once a week anyway. Helps hold in moisture in the caprice.
This is not accepted by everyone - but I'm convinced it helps. Time will tell.

Thank you for your response. I do have and use a laser heat gun, I have a large Sulcata in my back yard that I'm constantly keeping an eye on her tempatures in her home. I believe I have then temps and humidity where it should be....perhaps I should give a bit more of a varied diet. She really only seems to want to eat red leaf & green leaf lettuce. I was giving her kale on occasion too, but since have read that's not such a good idea. I offer her Mazuri pellets softened but she's not interested In that at all. I may give the coconut oil a try, I use it on myself all the time so....

Allison Gray

5 Year Member
Phoenix area of Arizona
Alison, I think your baby has a lovely colour and she appears to be a bit bumpy, but as mentioned it may have nothing to do with what you are doing . As long as you are following the care sheets and doing your best to adhere to good husbandry, that is better than most tortoises get in captivity.
I'm not an expert, not even a novice. I rely heavily on the experience and knowledge of the forum members that have years of experience and trust Benny to fill in the gaps.
He's a spoiled baby and he is pretty big from what I have seen, heard on here. We weren't as prepared as you, so you are one up on us in that you knew you were getting a really big pet. I thought I was getting an animal that would get to be about ten inches and maybe five pounds. Imagine my surprise!!!

Yes I could imagine your surprise when you found out how big they really get. I have two sulcatas as well, so I'm prepared for my giants. My largest is 17+" or so and 20+lbs. right now, she lives in the yard now and loves it.
I appreciate this forum so much, I belong to a few Facebook pages too but I have to tell you most of the people aren't so nice and have a no it all attitude. This forum has been a great resource for me and my young adult daughter who also is a tortoise owner.
Regarding my little Ginger, I think I'm doing all the right things....I'm going to work on adding more verity to her diet and see if it makes any difference. I have noticed a lot of Leopards have very pronounced shutes and others don't...but it certainly seems more common than not. I just want to give my little one the best I can.

If you decide your leopard tortoise is too big for you...I will certainly take good care of him