Type of tortoise?

Buddytheboxie

What type of tortoise is this?
My friend is babysitting him. This little guy belongs to the school and she noticed that he is being neglected and is going to try and get ownership to him or at least give a caresheet to the teacher. However she has no idea what type he is. And yes we know the beak is over grown and everything about this is bad for him. We are trying to help him out.
Good thing about him is that he is very active and eats everything in front of him. I was going to bring him so mazuri food to give him some nutrients.
I believe he is a russian but i am not sure.

IMG_0401.jpg IMG_1956.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
wow, look at that beak! Good for you for trying to make this little guy's life better. I don't know what kind of lesson the school hopes to give to the kids when they don't give their animals proper care.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
wow, look at that beak! Good for you for trying to make this little guy's life better. I don't know what kind of lesson the school hopes to give to the kids when they don't give their animals proper care.

Good point, not to mention the food with the substrate (looks like sand maybe) all over it.

Buddytheboxie

That is the first thing i said! I met the little one yesterday and it is actually a female! Her eyelids are also covering her eyes a lot. Her nails are super long her cage is small and sand is horrible! My friend (who never had a turtle/tortoise) even noticed that something might be wrong with her and that is why she asked me to look at her. I am not an expert, but everything is wrong here. My friend is going to try and get ownership of shelly(sheldon) because this teacher clearly does not care.

I am not familiar with Russians but are their skin,like legs and neck, suppose to be dried out and rough? My box turtle has smooth soft legs (back legs) and a soft next, but the russian looks dried out and scaly. I told my friend to give her 20-30 min soaks a day to help her out a bit. Poor thing freaked out. We dont think she has been in a bath before. :(

Buddytheboxie

Good point, not to mention the food with the substrate (looks like sand maybe) all over it.
My friend feeds her on a food dish (tupperware top) but shelly pulls it onto the sand. My friend wants to do more, but cant do anything until she has ownership of her.

Buddytheboxie

Are her eyes bad? I wish i had a better picture of her face.

Attachments

• IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 8