Type of wood? Safe for tort?

Kori5

Hello :). I just bought this beautiful house for my tortoise. But would like to know what kind of wood is this and is it tortoise safe. It doesn't say anything on the label, just real wood. It's from a German company called Karlie.

Attachments

• 20160113_111009.jpg
    20160113_111009.jpg
    573.6 KB · Views: 34

Kori5

What does cedar smell like? It was bought on rabbit part of the store but I tought it would look nice. Is cedar ok or not? Because I've read it is toxic to reptiles and was confused because some habbas are made of it.

Kori5

It doesn't have a specific smell, not strong. Like any wood and maybe a little paint. Don't know what to do :(. If it is from cedar is it a no no?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most things made of Cedar smell very strongly, so it likely is NOT and therefor probably safe to use. Especially since it's not likely that a tortoise would eat any of it anyway.

Kori5

Yes, it doesn't stink in any kind of way. And I'm sure it's sealled with something. The worst thing is there were two types, one looked too made up, white and pretty and this looked natural so appealed to me. I'm probably going to be the first one until I decide am I gonna use this or not. I do plan to put a plastic bin inside for humidity so this will be the outer part :).