Wood type for Redfoot.

DanB

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I'm getting ready to build a new enclosure for my Red and move him out of his plastic sweater box. Is there a perferpre wood type to use for Reds? Should the wood be treated with a stain or water seal and if so what kind.

Do I need to to put a plastic barrier between the wood and the substrate? Don't want the wood rotting or warping.

Dan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dan: Because I keep my YF (almost the same care as RF) tortoises on fairly wet substrate (the care sheet does not recommend this), I line my baby YF enclosure with heavy duty plastic. Also, because I have a bad red ant problem and I occasionally feed foods that attract the ants, before I put down the plastic I cover the floor of the enclosure with Sevin dust, then the plastic, then the substrate. My substrate of choice is small particle orchid bark. I wrap the plastic up the sides of the enclosure neatly, no lumps, waves or curls then, using Gorilla tape, I tape the edges of the plastic to the sides of the enclosure. I use untreated plywood to build the enclosures.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Just use pressure treated wood.

I've always thought the chemicals that protect PT wood from rot and bug could have a negative impact on animals in constant contact with it ... I have no basis for this ... has this not been your experience?

Thanks,

Jamie