typical yearling leopard weights??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Zenna who we think is a male and now call Zuri just reached 458g or a pound. He is only 11.5 months old. Also are there any known risks for them growing so fast?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
RE: typical yearning leopard weights??

I don't think there are any risks really. Time will tell if there are any health issues with growing that fast, but I am not aware of any examples where a tortoise has suffered ailments from growing too fast.

That is very high for a babcocki leopard under a year. The tortoises from my smallest producing female typically range in the 100 - 200 gram mark after a year. I have had specimens from larger females top over 300 grams after a year, but never over 400. Locality genetics may be a factor in why yours has grown so fast.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland

jesst said:
Also are there any known risks for them growing so fast?

You risk them eating and pooping more. :p

Mine just turned 4 months and is over 133 grams. The growth rate weight wise doubled since last month. Seems fine.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida

Zamric has one of his siblings but weighs much less. I don't feed him too much and he only eats greens, I just don't want him to have any lasting affects from being so big. From what I understand he is a gpb.

I ask because there are health issues for other animals that grow too fast.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

jesst said:
Zamric has one of his siblings but weighs much less. I don't feed him too much and he only eats greens, I just don't want him to have any lasting affects from being so big. From what I understand he is a gpb.

I went through some of your old threads, and your leopard appears to have very strong characteristics usually seen in the South African leopards. There may be some sexual dimorphism which may be why Zamric's is smaller.

Time will tell, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Neal, I've heard you (and I believe also elliott) mention that the average leopard is a "mutt" of both babcocki and pardalis. could it be that zenna/zuri got the genetics for faster growth like the pardalis? and zamric's eros has the genetics of a slower grower like the babcocki?

Tom's G.p.p had some big weights at the year mark.

I have no clue if my guess holds any ground or is possible...but it came to mind and I wonder..

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida

Neal said:
I went through some of your old threads, and your leopard appears to have very strong characteristics usually seen in the South African leopards. There may be some sexual dimorphism which may be why Zamric's is smaller.

Time will tell, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Ok thank you Neal. Just love the little guy....

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Team Gomberg said:
Neal, I've heard you (and I believe also elliott) mention that the average leopard is a "mutt" of both babcocki and pardalis. could it be that zenna/zuri got the genetics for faster growth like the pardalis? and zamric's eros has the genetics of a slower grower like the babcocki?

I'm not well educated in genetics, but I suppose it could be possible.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
There are pics of their parents on a thread by exoticsdr. If you look at them can you tell me if they have any gpp characteristics

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn

jesst said:

Eros just tipped the scales on Saturday morning at 127gm... that would be just slightly over 1/4 the size of his clutch brother, Zuri.

...maybe Zuri has a glandular issue....:D

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Zamric said:
Eros just tipped the scales on Saturday morning at 127gm... that would be just slightly over 1/4 the size of his clutch brother, Zuri.

...maybe Zuri has a glandular issue....:D

Haha...that's what I was thinking :).

Just wait..before you know it Eros will be a pound, it goes by so fast. I feel like we missed his little tort time.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Another weigh in.....as of 1/1/13 he is up to 481g. Im almost certain by the end of the month he will 500g! He also measured 6". Maybe im just a worried mom but it just doesn't seem normal. He isnt obese at all (using the equation on the forum).

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I have a p.babcocki. 16 months old (or believed to be) weighing in at 558grams. 123mm. So I dont think you have anything to worry about!

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
These are from 1/1/13

105-3_zps69b82125.jpg

104-2_zps6b3e0dc9.jpg

109-2_zpsd1947418.jpg

123-2_zpsb28d2216.jpg

LeopardTortLover said:
I have a p.babcocki. 16 months old (or believed to be) weighing in at 558grams. 123mm. So I dont think you have anything to worry about!

I hope not....he just turned 1 yr on 1/2/13. We never thought he would grow so fast :)

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks...milly and eros are beautiful!!

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
What do you use to weigh your baby leopards? I just purchased one and was wondering what are good scales to watch his weight? Beautiful tortoise by the way.:)

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I got my gram scale from walmart in the food section for $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.