kcanales1

Ok thank you.
I'm going to order it right now.
How many watts does it have to be?

Robber

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
MO, USA
How many watts should be the uv light for my baby leopard tortoise?
Enough to get the hot spot to near 100 degrees...I would think 100 watt bulb would be enough for that size enclosure, especially if you cover most of the top. If you get one that ends up being too hot, you can always raise it a little to adjust the temp. Make sure it isn't too far away(no more than a couple feet) or else the effect of the UVB is greatly reduced.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Do not use that red bulb for nighttime. As in previous replies - you need a ceramic heat emitter for highttime set on a thermostat. DO NOT use colored bulbs. They need it dark at night.

kcanales1

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452847947.987095.jpg
Is this good?
I'll be getting the mercury light today or tomorrow and now I want to buy the stuff for the night and I wanted to know if the ones in the picture are good?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
View attachment 162343
Is this good?
I'll be getting the mercury light today or tomorrow and now I want to buy the stuff for the night and I wanted to know if the ones in the picture are good?
The CHE in the middle is good. Make sure the lamp fixture (on the right) can handle the wattage of the CHE (most can). The probe thermometer on the left is good for measuring temps, like basking or hide temps. I just want to make sure you didn't mean to get a thermostat for your CHE, because that is not what is pictured on the left.

kcanales1

The CHE in the middle is good. Make sure the lamp fixture (on the right) can handle the wattage of the CHE (most can). The probe thermometer on the left is good for measuring temps, like basking or hide temps. I just want to make sure you didn't mean to get a thermostat for your CHE, because that is not what is pictured on the left.

Which is the thermostat for a CHE?
Can you send me a picture of the thermostat that I have to buy?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
themostat500r.jpg

The ReptiTemp 500R is a reliable thermostat that senses and manages the temperatures of your habitat by automatically turning on and off connected heating devices.

Additional Information:
  • Includes 6 foot remote sensor probe, dual port plug receptacle to control multiple heating devices, and adhesive pads for mounting.
  • Excellent for use with Zoo Med's ReptiCare® Ceramic Heat Emitter and the ReptiTherm® Under Tank Heater.
  • Safety cover prevents accidental bumping of the temperature control dial
  • When used in conjunction with a timer, natural conditions are replicated by providing the proper photo period for your reptile, along with a beneficial nighttime temperature drop (research the species you are keeping to determine its specific temperature requirements).
  • Range is from approximately 70° to 110°F (21° to 43C).
This is the thermostat I use, I have two of them actually. The photo and text above are from ZooMed's website (the manufacturer). You can buy it from them or on Amazon I'm sure. It doesn't have a digital display, it has a wheel that you use to find the right temperature so it can be a little tricky to get to the right temp setting but once you do, you shouldn't have to touch it again.

ladydifadden

Did any of this help your baby tortoise? My baby is also not growing--has been the same size for over a year.