Ugh! Somebody selling horribly kept Sulcata! Poor baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This person is selling a horribly kept Sulcata, then telling the buyer to keep him poorly too! Outdoors 24/7!!!!!!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/1637458948.html

Sulcata Tortoise - $195 (Highland 92346 (can ship.paypal ok))

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-03-10, 8:38AM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my Sulcata Tortoise or "African Spurred Tortoise". Unsure of male or female but I call him a He. I purchased him as a quarter sized baby about 2 years ago from Breeder. Currently Weighs 2 pounds a& 13.9 oz. He lives day and night outside in the backyard with 2 full grown German Shepherds. He is for sale to good home only, and must be placed in secure backyard Year Round. I dont want him in a cage AT ALL. He must live outside, he absoulutley must have his freedom and enjoys eating the weeds, grasses and dandelions. He has a small bite mark in his shell from one of my dogs picking him up as a baby, but it will heal and shed over in time. If you have a swimming pool its risky to keep torts, I do have a pool and he walks right along the edge around it. There pretty smart little guys, I enjoy watching him but Im selling lots of things these days and hate to see him go! The shell is like human nails so it grows back everytime. He has great personality and will become a huge 100 pound plus tortoise in his later years, he will dig great holes and eat lots of food. Enjoy!

Call/text 909-677-0623

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1637458948

Attachments

• Sulcata Poor.jpg
    Sulcata Poor.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 72
  • Sulcata Poor2.jpg
    Sulcata Poor2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 60

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would laugh at this post if it wasn't so sad.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
APBT, I would bet DMMJ is saying that it all seems so predictable. People getting these wonderful creatures then just not having a clue..That's just the guess.
I sometimes have to laugh at my job when someone comes in with an Aussie, or German short haired, or etc, then tell me they live in an apartment, (on the 5th floor) If you don't laugh you will cry..
NA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nay is right on target here. The world is so full of this sort of person. How does somebody grow up so ignorant? So sad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, while the dogs and pool are really bad, the rest of the way the owner cares for the tortoise is quite good. He's correct in keeping the tortoise outside 24/7 if the weather is warm. The tortoise is of a size where being outside is the best thing for him. And since he says the tortoise eats weeds and grasses I'm having to assume that the weather is good for his being outside.

Hopefully the tortoise will find a safer place to live soon!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
Actually, while the dogs and pool are really bad

While I do not advocate it, my torts live in a yard with a pool and pond, and have been doing so for over 10 years. They absolutely seem to understand the danger, and none of the 3 ever go anywhere near the pool or pond.
Like I said, I don't recommend it, but it has never been a problem for me.
Keep in mind that I work at home, and I keep a very close eye on them throughout the day.
They also have been living with my dog Lucy all that time, but she is a sweety, and wouldn't harm a fly.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
emysemys said:
Actually, while the dogs and pool are really bad, the rest of the way the owner cares for the tortoise is quite good. He's correct in keeping the tortoise outside 24/7 if the weather is warm. The tortoise is of a size where being outside is the best thing for him. And since he says the tortoise eats weeds and grasses I'm having to assume that the weather is good for his being outside.

Hopefully the tortoise will find a safer place to live soon!

No, they mean outside summer AND winter.-- "and must be placed in secure backyard Year Round."

chadk

10 Year Member!
Nothing wrong with year round... depending on where you live and how you have the tort set up (heated shed, etc).

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
chadk said:
Nothing wrong with year round... depending on where you live and how you have the tort set up (heated shed, etc).

It just didn't sound like there was any type of extra housing what so ever... that was my point. Doesn't want him caged, needs freedom all the time, lives in backyard 24/7.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Is "Inland Empire" California or Washington ?

Too bad he's not in Nevada or Tyler Stewart would be able to take him in and rehome him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I read it the same way as APBT. Mine are outside 24/7, but have a heated shelter. Oh, and they don't have dogs chewing on them either. Oh, and they can't drown in my pool as its about a mile and a half away from them.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
The Inland Empire is about 45 minutes (in good traffic) from me Alhambra. So it's about 1 hour or so from Los Angeles, CA. I should think that the nights get down in the 40's there in the winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Candy said:
The Inland Empire is about 45 minutes (in good traffic) from me Alhambra. So it's about 1 hour or so from Los Angeles, CA. I should think that the nights get down in the 40's there in the winter.

It gets below freezing pretty regularly.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
galvinkaos said:
The posting was flagged and removed.

Dawna

Yes, but if anybody can take him, please contact the phone number in my original posting! I would love to help him, but can't afford to pay $195 for a "purchase" price.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I think this seller just needed to word things better. He clearly was trying to state that he will not sell to some one who is trying to keep it in their house. The pool is just an unnessary risk, but some torts just see and edge and dont go over it. I'm also sure that if you went to his house with a head full of knowledge about this tortoise and told him what your care methods would be, you could probably get away with the tort for way less.

Status
Not open for further replies.