Umbilical scar bleeding

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What size Orchard bark do you use in your enclosure? I am headed to Green Acres this afternoon, there isn't an issue with the torts trying to eat it?
I think the best is the fine grade sold as "Orchid Bark". It is evenly graded and makes a great substrate. There is also the exact same material sold as "Micro Bark" for landscaping. It is not as uniform a grading and has more of a mix of fine to medium bark. It is 1/2 the price so if you have a large enclosure, that works well. I actually use that one as I have so many large enclosures. I just bought 4 bags on Monday from Green Acres in Elk Grove.

To help decide how much - I use about 1 1/2 cu ft for one 8x3 enclosure.

Here's the nicest one that is about $11 for a 1 cu ft bag. Normally kept inside by the houseplant section. Be sure to check the bottom right of the bag where the "fine" is checked. Medium looks identical except the "medium" on lower left is checked.

Orchid Bark.jpg

Here's the less expensive one that is not as well graded, but still works great. $10 for 2 cu ft. Kept outside with the top soil, bark products.

Orchid Bark Tom gets.JPG

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
Ok I just went to green acres and bought the GreenAll the one concern I have is that Max will eat it and I will have an impaction issue. When I let him in the yard and he gets on the bark he always has it in his mouth

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
It would be good if you would go to our "vendors reviews" and write your experience with her. Maybe save someone else from buying from her.

Here's the link.
Yes will do! Thanks for the link!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok I just went to green acres and bought the GreenAll the one concern I have is that Max will eat it and I will have an impaction issue. When I let him in the yard and he gets on the bark he always has it in his mouth
When they eat things they shouldn't, it is usually because something is lacking in the diet. Almost every time I see this, the person is feeding their tortoise mostly grocery store greens, without adding in the necessary amendments.

I've also seen it when people put calcium powder on every meal, every day. Too much calcium interferes with the absorption of other important nutrients and trace elements.

Does either of these scenarios sound like it could be your issue?

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Hey everyone here’s an update: Chevy’s umbilical scar is nearly 100% closed up and all that remains is some of the scar tissue that needs to fall off. Everything from the yolk sac has been absorbed! Once the rest of the scar falls off probably today or tomorrow I’ll let Chevy back into the enclosure.

one thing that has me concerned are the red dots that are on the intersection of the plasteron (sorry I don’t know technical terms). These appeared a few days ago and I don’t know if they are anything I should be concerned about. Any thoughts?6E9647EC-40DF-4F10-AB21-7B876337F6DF.jpeg

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Gosh! Your baby is covered with red dots! And I don't see any on the plastron. I'm not seeing what you're concerned about.

BTW, s(he) is just gorgeous!

lol maybe I’m just being a paranoid tort parent. Thank you very much! Chevy’s is healing so well and he/she has been so active and healthy! I can’t wait to get chevy back in the enclosure :) thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lol maybe I’m just being a paranoid tort parent. Thank you very much! Chevy’s is healing so well and he/she has been so active and healthy! I can’t wait to get chevy back in the enclosure :) thanks again!
Its looking exactly how it should have looked about a month before selling. You've got a survivor there, and it sure looks like everything is going to be fine.

Now just be sure that when you move him/her back into an enclosure that humidity stays high, but the substrate stays mostly dry on top.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Its looking exactly how it should have looked about a month before selling. You've got a survivor there, and it sure looks like everything is going to be fine.

Now just be sure that when you move him/her back into an enclosure that humidity stays high, but the substrate stays mostly dry on top.
Thank you Tom!

definitely will keep the enclosure nice and moist for Chevy. I have a digital humidity gauge in there that has been reading 80%+ at all times and the orchid bark’s top layer still seems dry to touch. Can’t wait to see little Chevy out of the brooder box and in the enclosure! Thanks again for your help Tom!

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Final update: the day is finally here! lil’chevy’s umbilical scar is all closed and healed up and Chevy is ready to move into the enclosure! I want to thank everyone that helped Chevy and I get here, I was truly in the dark and the guidance from everyone on this forum was the difference between life and death for Chevy. I know that sounds dramatic but I really think that was the case! Thank you @Tom @KarenSoCal @Toddrickfl1 @Gijoux @Markw84 @ZEROPILOT and anyone else I might be forgetting!

B5B7594D-056D-42B8-9165-9CB9D0CAFD0E.pngA2B324EB-2804-4A37-90E2-3A56B59DC758.jpegDC20A093-D42A-4C7F-8932-296D8370D06D.jpegF1418775-233B-46C8-9B70-03EA126482FE.jpegBD0E39C6-157F-4EB3-A35F-63C764883793.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Final update: the day is finally here! lil’chevy’s umbilical scar is all closed and healed up and Chevy is ready to move into the enclosure! I want to thank everyone that helped Chevy and I get here, I was truly in the dark and the guidance from everyone on this forum was the difference between life and death for Chevy. I know that sounds dramatic but I really think that was the case! Thank you @Tom @KarenSoCal @Toddrickfl1 @Gijoux @Markw84 @ZEROPILOT and anyone else I might be forgetting!

View attachment 294491View attachment 294493View attachment 294492View attachment 294494View attachment 294495
Chevy is sooo adorable! It looks to me like someone above was looking out for your special little baby.

Junebug07

Berlin, Germany
Thank you Tom,

I will follow your instructions to the letter. I will definitely not be getting any more tortoises from this breeder! This is only the 2nd day I’ve had the little guy. I will do everything I can to keep him alive and well. Is there a care sheet you might recommend for a hatchling this young? Should I still be giving daily soaks? Thank you again for your help!

You're too kind, I'd report him myself. Makes me livid when I see people mistreat animals for profit. It's probably illegal to do this in your country, too!

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

View attachment 294491View attachment 294493View attachment 294492View attachment 294494View attachment 294495

What a little Beauty! Enjoy your little guy.