Umbilical scar bleeding

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Awesome thank you. I took everything out and replaced the ti leaves with Brussels sprout leaves, it was the best thing I could find in my garden. I read that ti leaves were okay in moderation but I didn’t want to risk anything. His scar looks a lot better already which I’m happy about. How does this look?
That looks perfect.

I have two tubs for each group of hatchlings. Just one tortoise in your case... Every day, I pull the leaves and stuff out of the brooder box and soak the baby in that box. I then prepare a new, clean, dry box with new leaves. After soaking I lightly mist the new box and leaves and put the baby in it. Then, I rinse and sun dry the box I just soaked them in. This daily rotation of boxes ensure that mold, fungus and bacterial build up is minimized in these little warm, damp, humid chambers. This is important for your baby. You don't want that area getting infected.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
That looks perfect.

I have two tubs for each group of hatchlings. Just one tortoise in your case... Every day, I pull the leaves and stuff out of the brooder box and soak the baby in that box. I then prepare a new, clean, dry box with new leaves. After soaking I lightly mist the new box and leaves and put the baby in it. Then, I rinse and sun dry the box I just soaked them in. This daily rotation of boxes ensure that mold, fungus and bacterial build up is minimized in these little warm, damp, humid chambers. This is important for your baby. You don't want that area getting infected.
Thanks again Tom! I will follow your directions and hope for the best. He seems happy and active and I think he’s doing well! He did sneeze earlier today which freaked me out but other then that he’s eating and is very active.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks again Tom! I will follow your directions and hope for the best. He seems happy and active and I think he’s doing well! He did sneeze earlier today which freaked me out but other then that he’s eating and is very active.
Happy, active and eating are all good signs. Hopefully, this will clear up in 3-4 days, and he can be on his merry way.

Just ranting now for anyone reading: It is soooooo easy to prevent problems with the yolk sac and umbilical scar. Its also easy to cause problems if things aren't done correctly, and these problems are often fatal in hatchlings like this. I've been given hatchings that still had a yolk sac, and if any little thing goes wrong, they die. If that area gets infected, it goes directly into the babies body and blood stream and its game over quick.

Yet we constantly see pics of babies on the forum that still have an external yolk sac, like yours, or an open umbilical scar, or that area is all scabbed up. It seems to me like a lot of tortoise breeders don't know or understand the importance of this brooder box step, and they just take babies out of the incubator and put them into an enclosure. I've had them tell me."Oh, I've done it this way for years. Its fine..." Its not fine. I don't know if its laziness, ignorance, or both. Its just frustrating. Ok. Rant over. Thanks for indulging me.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Happy, active and eating are all good signs. Hopefully, this will clear up in 3-4 days, and he can be on his merry way.

Just ranting now for anyone reading: It is soooooo easy to prevent problems with the yolk sac and umbilical scar. Its also easy to cause problems if things aren't done correctly, and these problems are often fatal in hatchlings like this. I've been given hatchings that still had a yolk sac, and if any little thing goes wrong, they die. If that area gets infected, it goes directly into the babies body and blood stream and its game over quick.

Yet we constantly see pics of babies on the forum that still have an external yolk sac, like yours, or an open umbilical scar, or that area is all scabbed up. It seems to me like a lot of tortoise breeders don't know or understand the importance of this brooder box step, and they just take babies out of the incubator and put them into an enclosure. I've had them tell me."Oh, I've done it this way for years. Its fine..." Its not fine. I don't know if its laziness, ignorance, or both. Its just frustrating. Ok. Rant over. Thanks for indulging me.
I hear you Tom, I’m pretty heated at this “breeder” I got my tort from. She told me he was three weeks old and had absorbed his yolk sac, but clearly that was not the case. Even at three weeks I was suspicious that it was too early, but she assured me she’s been doing it like this for years and everything is fine. I messaged her the other day telling her the yolk sac is in fact not absorbed and she needs to not sell hatchlings so soon.... no response from her. It’s a frustrating situation but part of the blame is on me. I should have found a reputable breeder and not just some ad on Craigslist. Very thankful I have the guidance of the tortoise forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hear you Tom, I’m pretty heated at this “breeder” I got my tort from. She told me he was three weeks old and had absorbed his yolk sac, but clearly that was not the case. Even at three weeks I was suspicious that it was too early, but she assured me she’s been doing it like this for years and everything is fine. I messaged her the other day telling her the yolk sac is in fact not absorbed and she needs to not sell hatchlings so soon.... no response from her. It’s a frustrating situation but part of the blame is on me. I should have found a reputable breeder and not just some ad on Craigslist. Very thankful I have the guidance of the tortoise forum!
Hopefully it will all work out just fine. Your baby is exceptionally gorgeous. All red foots are pretty, but yours is truly something special to my eye. The dark skin and the bright red markings are stunning.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Hopefully it will all work out just fine. Your baby is exceptionally gorgeous. All red foots are pretty, but yours is truly something special to my eye. The dark skin and the bright red markings are stunning.
Thank you tom! I may be biased but I’m going to have to agree with you! :)

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Just an update: lil’ Chevy is coming along just fine in the brooder box. She’s been eating a lot and is very active. I’ve been soaking her twice a day and it seems like she doesn’t really like her soaks but I know they’re good for her so she’s gonna have to put up with them. Her yolk sac looks much better and she’s been slowly absorbing what remains still outside. Hopefully she can go back in her enclosure this week! Here’s a progress photo of her yolk sac taken today :)32336FC1-AC72-48D7-99DF-161CCE1B3EF9.jpeg

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
That is looking perfect. That is exactly how you want it to go. Give it a few more days. Your baby is going to be absolutely fine.
So good to hear thanks Tom! She’s so active I know she can’t wait to get back in her enclosure. Will keep the thread updated on her progress!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I agree with @Tom What you are doing is perfect. The way the yolk sac looks, the baby was taken from the egg to a dry enclosure and sat on dry substrate. That is the way the yolk sac looks when it dries out, instead of being kept moist so it can be absorbed. That can easily kill a baby, but your's appears to be a stubborn survivor! With what you are doing for it now, I think its chances are really good. Especially if you can now get it to start gaining weight.

Please keep us updated.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
I agree with @Tom What you are doing is perfect. The way the yolk sac looks, the baby was taken from the egg to a dry enclosure and sat on dry substrate. That is the way the yolk sac looks when it dries out, instead of being kept moist so it can be absorbed. That can easily kill a baby, but your's appears to be a stubborn survivor! With what you are doing for it now, I think its chances are really good. Especially if you can now get it to start gaining weight.

Please keep us updated.
Thank you! Yeah the breeder I got her from was clearly blowing it.

If I may rant for a moment: She sold her to me with a egg tooth and yolk sac still attached and told me the tort was 3 weeks old and ready to go into an enclosure. Even worse she had her hatchlings outside on dry coco coir and said the ambient humidity here in Hawaii (about 60-65%) is enough for a hatchling. She told me to keep the substrate dry because shell rot is the #1 enemy. When I got my tort home and saw the yolk sac was clearly not absorbed I messaged her with a picture telling her she’s selling her hatchlings too early! She replied by telling me I’m using the wrong substrate, orchid bark and not coco coir. The fact that she calls herself a breeder I think is sad to me. Luckily lil’ Chevy is with me now and I have this forum to help me give her the best life possible now. Okay sorry rant over!

Thank you for the kind words and will keep you updated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! Yeah the breeder I got her from was clearly blowing it.

If I may rant for a moment: She sold her to me with a egg tooth and yolk sac still attached and told me the tort was 3 weeks old and ready to go into an enclosure. Even worse she had her hatchlings outside on dry coco coir and said the ambient humidity here in Hawaii (about 60-65%) is enough for a hatchling. She told me to keep the substrate dry because shell rot is the #1 enemy. When I got my tort home and saw the yolk sac was clearly not absorbed I messaged her with a picture telling her she’s selling her hatchlings too early! She replied by telling me I’m using the wrong substrate, orchid bark and not coco coir. The fact that she calls herself a breeder I think is sad to me. Luckily lil’ Chevy is with me now and I have this forum to help me give her the best life possible now. Okay sorry rant over!

Thank you for the kind words and will keep you updated!
Shell rot from wet substrate is certainly a concern with any red foot tortoise, but that has nothing to do with starting babies correctly. And orchid bark does a better job of maintaining a dry surface while the lower layers remain damp for humidity and coco coir. Coir has to be kept damp all the time to prevent it from getting loose and dusty.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Shell rot from wet substrate is certainly a concern with any red foot tortoise, but that has nothing to do with starting babies correctly. And orchid bark does a better job of maintaining a dry surface while the lower layers remain damp for humidity and coco coir. Coir has to be kept damp all the time to prevent it from getting loose and dusty.
Yeah I’ve been using orchid bark. It’s been doing a fantastic job of maintaining humidity in my enclosure and I like it because the pieces seem like they are too large to get eaten. The coco coir just looked like something that my tort would devour. The breeder tried to tell me the bark was the reason my tort injured her umbilical scar and not because she was sold too early with her yolk sac still exposed ? needless to say, I’m keeping the bark.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah I’ve been using orchid bark. It’s been doing a fantastic job of maintaining humidity in my enclosure and I like it because the pieces seem like they are too large to get eaten. The coco coir just looked like something that my tort would devour. The breeder tried to tell me the bark was the reason my tort injured her umbilical scar and not because she was sold too early with her yolk sac still exposed ? needless to say, I’m keeping the bark.
WOw. You can't injure an exposed yolk sac on orchid bark if there ISN'T an exposed yolk sac to injure... She doesn't seem to get it.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
WOw. You can't injure an exposed yolk sac on orchid bark if there ISN'T an exposed yolk sac to injure... She doesn't seem to get it.
Some people you just can’t reach. It sucks because she’s still out here breeding tortoises and selling hatchlings that are too young.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Sometimes people learn just enough to be dangerous and then think they know everything. I guess what I’m saying is that arguing with the breeder is probably a waste of time. Much easier to try and reach people before they learn the wrong way in the first place. That’s why I like the forum so much.

Good to see your hatchling is doing well. I think you got the better end of this deal. The yolk sac should be healed up nice in a few days. If you’d gotten a 3 or 4 week old baby, and she’d kept it dry all that time, the consequences would be much worse.

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Sometimes people learn just enough to be dangerous and then think they know everything. I guess what I’m saying is that arguing with the breeder is probably a waste of time. Much easier to try and reach people before they learn the wrong way in the first place. That’s why I like the forum so much.

Good to see your hatchling is doing well. I think you got the better end of this deal. The yolk sac should be healed up nice in a few days. If you’d gotten a 3 or 4 week old baby, and she’d kept it dry all that time, the consequences would be much worse.
You speak the truth turtlesteve!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Some people you just can’t reach. It sucks because she’s still out here breeding tortoises and selling hatchlings that are too young.
It would be good if you would go to our "vendors reviews" and write your experience with her. Maybe save someone else from buying from her.

Here's the link.

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA

Please keep us updated.
What size Orchard bark do you use in your enclosure? I am headed to Green Acres this afternoon, there isn't an issue with the torts trying to eat it?