Underbite

Kezzaleather

Location (City and/or State)
bristol
Hiya. Ive just got a horsefield tortoise today from a friend of a friend who know longer has time for him. First time tortoise owner so a bit nervous. Anyway he has a fairly large underbite and already concerned. Previous owners said he eats fine. I will definetely take him to the vets for a check up in the next couple of days but just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it and what the outcome will be. Hes 4 years old :)

IMG_20201007_213234_784.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. That really is a major underbite.

Take a read of the care guide. Most don’t like the type of substrate you currently have - the white bits encourages your tort to peck at/eat substrate.

@Yvonne G might have some ideas for the overgrown beak.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
That care sheet is good, but it's been updated. Here's the new one...

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hiya. Ive just got a horsefield tortoise today from a friend of a friend who know longer has time for him. First time tortoise owner so a bit nervous. Anyway he has a fairly large underbite and already concerned. Previous owners said he eats fine. I will definetely take him to the vets for a check up in the next couple of days but just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it and what the outcome will be. Hes 4 years old :)
The tortoise has a very severe underbite, but it may be correctable with time and patience. It would need to be trimmed back a little at a time over a period of up to a year or so. This is because trimming away all that needs to be taken off at one time would expose the jaw bone itself and cause bleeding and possible infection. A knowledgeable vet could do this trimming for you, but as I said, you would need to take the tortoise in for a trimming about every 8-10 weeks or thereabouts so that it could be accomplished without damage to the jaw bone under the horny plate which will be trimmed. It is also possible that a better result could be achieved if the tortoise were anesthetized for these procedures which would add to the cost.

PS: I am a dentist and I have done this same thing for tortoises I have received with bites similar to the one yours has.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my experience, having raised a group of intergrade Manouria tortoises from eggs, what I've 'guessed' is this is caused by lack of calcium. I sold some babies from this same clutch, and following up with those babies, none of them developed the protruding lower beak, while all of mine did. Comparing their care and feeding with mine, the only thing I came up with was they had a steady supplement of calcium, while mine didn't.

The only way to fix it is how Zovick advised, PLUS making sure calcium is available to the animal.