Underweight Leopard Tortoise?

ngv123897

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hi Everyone!

I've had a leopard tortoise for around 2 years now and I wasn't sure what age it was when I first got her so I'll assume my tortoise is around 2-3 years old. I have started weighing her ( I know I am very late to this but I didn't educate myself thoroughly enough from the beginning ) and measuring her. She is 7 cm long, 4.5 cm wide and 5.5 cm tall (measured from the side of the tortoise and not directly on the shell) and she weighs 77.9g... I have read other threads and saw that others' tortoises are around 500-600g at around the same age.... If she is underweight.. How can I help her gain weight? I'm just worried she might be "fat" because she's kind of wrinkly....

Thanks!

ngv123897

Hong Kong
What is her appetite like and is she active?

@Yvonne G @Tom

She eats a lot and is willing to eat at all times when I provide her food. She comes out of her hide and walks a few laps. She also changes from her hide to the basking area. I don't know if she would be considered "active" but she's definitely not lethargic.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
She eats a lot and is willing to eat at all times when I provide her food. She comes out of her hide and walks a few laps. She also changes from her hide to the basking area. I don't know if she would be considered "active" but she's definitely not lethargic.
That’s a good sign, I don’t know a lot about Leo torts so hold on tight until a experienced keeper comes along

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of light is mounted in that white fixture?

In my opinion, that enclosure is too small. I raise my leopard babies in enclosures that are all closed up to keep a very humid and warm environment. It doesn't matter that Hong Kong is a humid area, the lights/heat dries out the enclosure so it's NOT humid. Your baby is growing very smoothly and looks great, but still needs a more humid environment.

What do you feed the tortoise? Maybe the foods you're offering don't give the tortoise enough nutrition to grow like you would wish.

ngv123897

Hong Kong
What kind of light is mounted in that white fixture?

In my opinion, that enclosure is too small. I raise my leopard babies in enclosures that are all closed up to keep a very humid and warm environment. It doesn't matter that Hong Kong is a humid area, the lights/heat dries out the enclosure so it's NOT humid. Your baby is growing very smoothly and looks great, but still needs a more humid environment.

What do you feed the tortoise? Maybe the foods you're offering don't give the tortoise enough nutrition to grow like you would wish.

I usually keep a lid on the enclosure in an attempt to keep it more humid. I'm just worried that if it's too warm and too humid bacteria might thrive easily. What should I do to keep the enclosure more humid? I've only just started growing weeds for my tortoise to eat since it hasn't been sunny enough. So, for now, I've been feeding veggies with a mix of mazuri tortoise diet and calcium powder. The white light is 60W.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I usually keep a lid on the enclosure in an attempt to keep it more humid. I'm just worried that if it's too warm and too humid bacteria might thrive easily. What should I do to keep the enclosure more humid? I've only just started growing weeds for my tortoise to eat since it hasn't been sunny enough. So, for now, I've been feeding veggies with a mix of mazuri tortoise diet and calcium powder. The white light is 60W.
Is it a curly shaped bulb or a traditional shaped bulb?

ngv123897

Hong Kong
Hello.. I'm starting to get more worried the more I research so I've decided to feed her twice a day to see if it'll help. I'll be heading to this street that sells all kinds of tortoise equipment.. I'll be getting some more eco-earth and cuttlebone.. is there anything else I need?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello.. I'm starting to get more worried the more I research so I've decided to feed her twice a day to see if it'll help. I'll be heading to this street that sells all kinds of tortoise equipment.. I'll be getting some more eco-earth and cuttlebone.. is there anything else I need?

The curly style fluorescent bulbs are not recommended and cause problems with tortoise eyes. Also, tortoises are grazing animals so It won’t hurt to leave fresh food, greens, weeds, or grass available all day. Good luck!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello.. I'm starting to get more worried the more I research so I've decided to feed her twice a day to see if it'll help.
Tortoises are grazers. They browse on food, snooze, bask, browse a bit more... Don’t try to enforce meals like you or I would have; it’s not how they work.

Food should be put out first thing in the morning, a mound roughly the size of your tortoise’s shell is a good starting quantity, and then be constantly available. If your tortoise eats everything that’s been put out then place some more food in the enclosure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She seems OK to me, a non-expert! Thank you for being a caring owner.

ngv123897

Hong Kong
The curly style fluorescent bulbs are not recommended and cause problems with tortoise eyes. Also, tortoises are grazing animals so It won’t hurt to leave fresh food, greens, weeds, or grass available all day. Good luck!

Hm.. Is there any way I can prevent this problem without changing the lamp or bulb? I don't know when I'll be able to a get light soon since my parents think it's a waste of money... (even though it says I'm 19 in my profile.. I'm not.. sorry I just dont feel very comfortable saying my real age :confused: and also my sister shares this account with me)
Also, I will try your advice and provide fresh food at all times of the day. Do I have to provide food at night as well? She never comes out at night so I just wanted to know if it was necessary. It confuses me though.. She never finishes her food but if I provide her with more she will eat it. I'll just assume she doesn't like "old" food o_O.

ngv123897

Hong Kong
Tortoises are grazers. They browse on food, snooze, bask, browse a bit more... Don’t try to enforce meals like you or I would have; it’s not how they work.

Food should be put out first thing in the morning, a mound roughly the size of your tortoise’s shell is a good starting quantity, and then be constantly available. If your tortoise eats everything that’s been put out then place some more food in the enclosure.

I will most certainly provide food more often but I don't know if it'll be a big waste or not.. After eating she basks for a bit and goes to sleep even if there is still food left.. But I'll try this for a few days and see if her weight improves.. Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hm.. Is there any way I can prevent this problem without changing the lamp or bulb? I don't know when I'll be able to a get light soon since my parents think it's a waste of money... (even though it says I'm 19 in my profile.. I'm not.. sorry I just dont feel very comfortable saying my real age :confused: and also my sister shares this account with me)
Also, I will try your advice and provide fresh food at all times of the day. Do I have to provide food at night as well? She never comes out at night so I just wanted to know if it was necessary. It confuses me though.. She never finishes her food but if I provide her with more she will eat it. I'll just assume she doesn't like "old" food o_O.
You don’t have to provide food overnight. Most tortoises turn in fairly early... mine was rarely around after 4pm... but leaving a good feed first thing in the morning is good.

They can be extremely pick, but will eat less fresh stuff if hungry so don’t go wasting food. Put out fresh each morning, but don’t keep replacing it through the day just to leave fresh out. It is important that your tortoise doesn’t end up training you!

Some people use compact UVB without a problem, but many do have problems and that’s why we don’t recommend them. They are always prime suspect in cases when tortoises hide away or get eye problems. You can prove if yours is causing a problem simply by turning it off and leaving it switched off for 3 or 4 days. Your tortoise won’t come to any harm for such a short amount of time. If your tortoise’s behaviour improves then you know the UVB is probably the cause and you must change the type of UVB that you use.

Don’t switch off the basking lamp though. That must be on for at least 12 hours every day.