Unsure if horsefeild is a little overweight

Kirsti

IMG_1026.JPG IMG_1029.JPG IMG_1030.JPG I'm new to this so don't really know what to expect haha. I have had my horsefeild for 2 years in December. Unsure of the age as when I got him they said he was around 3 months but since going to other pet stores and talking to them he may be older. I just wanted to know if he looks slightly over weight? I have never weighed him as I unsure of age and how much he should weigh IMG_1031.JPG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Take a ruler and measure the length you have marked in centimetres or inches :)

The weight is wrong at 63g

Put a tin of soup or something on your scales and then zero them.

Put your tort on the tin so his legs can't touch the floor and he's stranded - then you can weigh him accurately :)

Kirsti

Take a ruler and measure the length you have marked in centimetres or inches :)

The weight is wrong at 63g

Put a tin of soup or something on your scales and then zero them.

Put your tort on the tin so his legs can't touch the floor and he's stranded - then you can weigh him accurately :)

I got 460g this time with him keeping still on the tin haha and its 13.5 cms

Kirsti

He doesn't overweight in those pics. What are you feeding him?

I feed him once a day, he mostly has leaves. Kale spinach I'll give him lettuce every now and again mixed with the kale as I know it's all water. He'll sometimes have broccoli and carrots too, he's also very active if I'm working all day and unable to let him roam he'll climb his wooden log. When I am able to let him roam he doesn't stop. I also use the calcium every other day. If there are dandelions I will give him them also.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Kirsti

IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1039.JPG IMG_1041.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1039.JPG IMG_1038.JPG
He sounds about right.

Have you read these threads written by species experts which will help you care for your tort?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

If you would like us to look your enclosure and lighting over and recommend and improvements, please just post some photos.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to :)

Thanks! This is table we made ourselves as he outgrew his last one. He's always been a little wild climbing the logs and nose diving off. I'm currently looking for a larger log hide as he is out growing this one, I have used a little bit of hay in the log so he can bury himself down at night when it's cooler. He is very active during the day but as I have cats I only let him wonder around the bedroom which is really big so he gets his exercise

Hi! This is off topic, but I want to let you know that your tort is a "she". It's a female. Also, take her to a trip to the vet because at Petco and most other animal stores, they're wild caught so its always good to take them to the vet.

Also, soak her at least 3 times a week. They don't get all their water from the food and it's good for their skin.

If it has a short tail that sticks out, it's a she. (You have a she). If the tale is long and sticks to the side, it's a he. (I have a male)

Kirsti

If it has a short tail that sticks out, it's a she. (You have a she). If the tale is long and sticks to the side, it's a he. (I have a male)

Hi thanks! As I said in my post I was unsure on lots of things when I first got it. I honestly have no idea how old it is when I got it I got told it was weeks old but when I go to my pet store he sells his that are so much smaller than mine when I first got it and he claimed his were 2 years old which I struggled to believe, I did go on forums and google things and did my research before I got it as I know not to trust pet stores and wanted the best for my tortoise and not just own one for the fun of it.

I do bathe it every now and again but it absolutely hates it and gets really stressed out so I don't tend to bathe as much as recommended, it is very lively and just wants to be on the off most of the time so whenever I bathe it tends to just try to get out. I have tried loads of things to try to make it relax but nothing seems to work.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Doesn't look too chubby to me. When my tortoise got fat, she kind of puffed up after a meal. Like a lot. Does your tort puff up right after eating?

Kirsti

Doesn't look too chubby to me. When my tortoise got fat, she kind of puffed up after a meal. Like a lot. Does your tort puff up right after eating?

These photos were taken right after eating so I guess not! That's why he has a green mouth ☺️ haha.

I just wanted to make sure all looked well

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The trick to soaking is to do it first thing in the morning before your tort has warmed up properly.

A warm tort wants out. A cool tort is more likely to relax and enjoy the warm water.

Use a high sided, flat-bottomed bowl that your tort cannot see over or through.

Have the water warm, not hot - think baby bath.

The water should come just up over the join between the shell and the plastron - your tort shouldn't be struggling to keep its head above water :)

Kirsti

Thanks I shall try tomorrow morning, I usually use a large bowl he cannot see out of and always make sure it's not too deep and warm enough

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. She is very pretty and healthy looking. I love the light blond color of her shell. What kind of substrate are you using? You need to use a substrate than can be moistened. Moistened cypress mulch or fine grade orchid bark would be a good choice for her size.

Kirsti

Thank you it's a relief to know she looks healthy it's going to take some getting used to called her a she haha (explains why she can be quite sassy) And I use wood chip at the moment. I have used soil in the past but was rather expensive from the pet store