Unusual behaviour (sleeping a lot)

er9m

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
EU
Really sorry and wish your girl for soon recovering.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Update- took my tort to the vets today, she has x-rayed her and she has a possible blockage so she is having to have a feeding tube fitted. They are hoping it will then unblock but could take up to 6 weeks and hundreds of pounds to treat. Has anyone had this issue with their tortoise before?

I haven’t had this issue but my tort did have to have xrays and blood tests and that cost hundreds of pounds on it own. Sadly my tort got put to sleep in the end as he had kidney failure.
Did they say what the blockage was? Was it constipation or some kind of foreign body?
Soak your tortoise lots and lots, I would soak for an hour twice per day in warm water. Is your tort drinking?

Bexstar

Telford
I haven’t had this issue but my tort did have to have xrays and blood tests and that cost hundreds of pounds on it own. Sadly my tort got put to sleep in the end as he had kidney failure.
Did they say what the blockage was? Was it constipation or some kind of foreign body?
Soak your tortoise lots and lots, I would soak for an hour twice per day in warm water. Is your tort drinking?
Oh no, im really sorry to hear that. When we got our tortoise we got two, one we knew was already not well but the owner didnt have the time or money to invest in treaments so we took her to the vets and spent £1000, they did all they could for her but she hadnt eaten or drank for some time and it had already affected her kidneys too much to save her, she was in late stage renal failure so we had to have her put down.
We have had a call from the vet this morn, they think its a small stone but as she isnt eating its unlikely she will pass it naturally so decided the best decision was a feeding tube. We are boarding her at the vets for the next two weeks so they can keep a constant eye on her..because shes so unbelievably active and does tend to have little tantrums they are worried she will be pulling her tube out all the time.
We soak her daily, i think she drinks the water then, she very rarely drinks from her water bowl, she prefers to just trample through it or tip it up
I was horrible not having her home to bath and feed this morning :(