Update on Beasty Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Beasty Boy had a bladder stone since the end of August/2012. I first noticed trouble when he would make these cries. After taking him to the vet and having x-rays done, I thought it was because he ate a bunch of small stones and he was impacted. Slowly, with the many advises I received here at the forum, the stones passed out. Since Beasty boy continued to eat, defecate, urinate, and graze, and he wasn't crying anymore, I figured that in time, the bladder stone would break up and he'd pass it like the other stones.

Two months later, he would cry out again and have trouble urinating. Last week, I was noticing that he wouldn't eat, drink, defecate or urinate. This went on for three days and I began to panic. I took him to the only vet who knew a little about tortoises, but he was going on vacation and I only had that day to get another x-rays done before traveling to the Small Animals Hosp. in Gainesville, FL (6 1/2 hours away). The earliest appointment they can make was this Wednesday, but Beasty Boy was becoming lethargic and I felt a sense of urgency...if I didn't hurry, he was going to die on me.

So, I drove with my husband for 6 1/2 hours to get to the emergency room this past Friday. As it turned out, the x-rays showed that the bladder stone had moved into the pelvic area, not allowing any fecal material or urine to pass. He needed emergency surgery.

He was also in extreme pain, and the cries he made were heartbreaking to hear. I left him at the hospital and the doctor said she would start working on him immediately. At 2:30 a.m. I received a call from the doctor who said she had successfully removed most of the stone but there was some hemorrhaging when she preformed the cloacoscopy.

He is still in the hospital for observation because he still continues not to eat or defecate. However, this evening, the doctor called and said that he's showing signs of improvement; he's eating all his food, and he urinated today. Even though he hadn't still defecated (and he's loaded), the doctor is optimistic that he'll be good to go home next Tuesday.

All in all, my baby has survived this! Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes. I will continue to update you after he comes home. Btw, the doctor said that the stone was mainly calcium deposits, and asked how much calcium supplement I was giving him. Also, she asked how much UV lighting he was exposed to. Both of these issues I will address on my next update.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-54930.html#ixzz2BK8KBV9c

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow....so happy to hear the good twist at the end here....please do keep us in the loop....well wishes and a prayer out to little Beasty....:D

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Wow. I'm so glad you decided to take him sooner rather than later. Bless his heart. You're an awesome tortie mom!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thanks for your kind words Angelia and Erika. I try so hard because for the first 10 months of my babies lives, I really didn't know how to properly care for these torts until I joined this forum as a result of Beasty boy's rock eating problem. And, even though I would bath them often because I just didn't want poop on their feet and plastron, I now know that humidity is a key factor in preventing pyramiding. Fortunately, there is only a little pyramiding, and with continued care, as they grow, these should smooth out a bit. There is no question, though, the LOVE was always there for them. And, now I have Baby Runt, who has stolen my heart, to care for. He's getting all the benefits of my increased knowledge on how to give these guys a good life. Now, that Beasty Boy is getting better, I can relax and give some quality time to all my babies. I will be giving some information as to the formation of that stone in the bladder, and perhaps some advise on what to do and not to do concerning calcium supplements and uv lighting (either artificial or real sunshine).

shellysmom said:
Wow. I'm so glad you decided to take him sooner rather than later. Bless his heart. You're an awesome tortie mom!!

Status
Not open for further replies.