Update on Breeding Project

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
amazing baby turtle!!!!! how endangered are the species? how many do you think are still in the wild?
Tough to know for sure. I've never been to Vietnam or Southern China. I CAN tell you that there hasn't been any field research done that I know of, for quite a while. It is believed that collection for the pet trade has really decimated populations, however. I do know that they are still showing up in many wildlife markets and pet shops.

I really enjoy reading any material I can get my hands on, regarding my favorite species especially. I've written an article that is being published in the TTPG's Batagur Newsletter right now on this species. I can't wait to see it in print. And I can say that it would be a much better subject to write about if we did know more about their current situation in the wild.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Here is Egon, fat after his first meal today. He ate after being out of the egg for only 6 days, presumably due to the lengthly incubation period. It's much more standard for them to take close to a month to eat their first meal.IMG_1255.JPG

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Here is hatchling #2 from this year. He hatched after 99 days of incubation at 7.1 grams. A big spengleri hatchling. I'm feeling good about these low incubation temps, long incubation periods, and the large, energetic, hungry hatchlings they produce.
IMG_1298.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Great video, Anthony! They're beautiful!
Good luck in the breeding. Looking forward to updates!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Hatchling number one is already showing some marginal flaring, which has been a struggle for us, so far. I am feeding these hatchlings once a week, and am keeping them in an incredibly humid environment. One is flared, and the others aren't

Anyway, this is our three-pack of hatchlings for the year. Our total spengleri effort for the year, minus the hatchlings produced by our male's stud service :)

Attachments

• IMG_1327.JPG
    IMG_1327.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1330.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 21

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What is flaring? Does it happen "in nature"? If all three are being raised the exact same way but only one is flared does that necessarily mean that anything is wrong?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
What is flaring? Does it happen "in nature"? If all three are being raised the exact same way but only one is flared does that necessarily mean that anything is wrong?
I've never heard of marginal flaring in wild G. spengleri, but I'm sure it's possible, since there is so little information on wild studies on the species. If it did happen in wild specimens, it would undoubtedly occur less often and most likely for different reasons than for those affected in captivity. So, it's best to assume that if and when this happens in captivity, it's best to go back to the husbandry drawing board, even if only one of every three hatchlings is affected.

Good questions.