Update on Splinter - 3rd Vet Visit Today

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
I remember telling a few people about Splinter acting strange and appearing sick, so I thought I would make a thread about him and get some thoughts.

I found Splinter on my front step outside my door. It is really high with a lip on it, so there's no way he could have climbed up it. His shell was completely covered in dry paint that matched his orange scales. What made me take him to a vet the first time was the big crack in his shell and the chunk missing from behind his head. The vet told me the damage was old, but she was concerned by the fact that he was overweight yet really malnourished, had very dull pigmentation in some spots, flaky shell with slight pyramiding, etc. and said he was most likely someone's pet that either got out or was released and found his way to me. I'm of the belief someone in my neighborhood heard about my rescue work and decided to put him on my front step because they didn't want him anymore or couldn't take care of him. That's how I got my first Eastern Box Turtle.

I set him up best I could using information I found on various online pages and eventually found my way here. After a month and a half of having him, he started becoming lethargic, progressively weaker and weaker, open mouth breathing, eating less then stopped completely, and soaking in his water dish all day and going back in when I would take him out of it. This happened within the time frame of one week. I didn't like his change in behavior when before he was very energetic, loved to explore, ate well, etc. So I took him to a reptile vet I found online by the name of Dr. Atchel at Exeter Veterinary Hospital in PA. He said it could be an RI and gave me critical care for herbivores and baytril to administer orally at a rate of .15 ML once a day for ten days. He also told me to force feed Splinter 2 tablespoons of hydrated critical care every day, splitting the 2 tablespoons into four meals each day. At first it was easy to open Splinter's mouth and feed him because of how weak me was, but now that he has grown a bit stronger, it's impossible.He still will not eat on his own, though he is now moving around a little more. Still lethargic, still weak, but not as much.

I took him to a different vet in the same office as Dr. Atchel today because he was on vacation. Dr. Siepel said she is glad to see that Splinter is stronger and moving around more, but she and I are worried about his lack of eating on his own and his weight loss of 14 grams (he was 664 but now he's 650) in 20-23 days. At first she wanted to wait and see a little longer to see if he regained more of his strength with me continuing to force feed him and gave me some suggestions on how to get him to eat on his own (all of which I have tried already plus others, but I let her talk) but when she saw him open-mouth breathe, she talked to me about doing another round of Baytril. After I explained how very hard it was for me to get Splinter to swallow the Baytril because of how bad it tastes (I'm assuming) and how hard it is to get him to swallow the meds or the crit care without spitting it back up, she opted to not continue the Baytril because of the stress it would cause him plus him not ever swallowing the full dose. She doesn't want to add on to the stress of me forcing Baytril on him to the stress of force feeding him. But she said to monitor his weight loss and habits etc and bring him back at a later date.
She said if he continues to act this way, she will want to blood work and possibly x-rays at the next follow-up.

When I first realized something wasn't right with Splinter, I made a hospital tank using hydrated peat moss in a rubbermaid container with a wood log hide and small water dish with a Mercury Vapor Bulb to keep him warm but still offer UV lights. While in this, he almost never moved and when he did move, it was maybe half an inch to one side or the other. He never moved himself out of the heat or our of the light. He never tried to go into the shady hide. But when I put him back outside in his enclosure, I get more activity out of him. The hospital tank basking temperature was a little over 90, hot side high 80's (generally between 85-87) cool side fluctuated between 78-75. I measured the humidity levels fluctuating in the high 70's most of the time.
His outside enclosure (which I moved him back into after seeing how well he did when I would put him out there for fresh air and natural UV for a few hours every day) is completely dependent on the weather/heat. Generally high's are mid to high 80's, in the spots that get direct sun for a few hours a day can hit almost 100's on the ground right there (temp gun used). Cool side is mid to high 70's. At night the temperature drops down to somewhere in the 60's. I mist/hose the enclosure at least once a day.

Any thoughts/comments/observations/etc? I'm all ears.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Sunlight has something that even the best bulbs can't replicate. I'd be inclined to have him outside as much as possible, but not below 60, since he seems to respond to it.

Sometimes keeping them out is wrong, sometimes bringing them in is wrong. What does your gut tell you to try?

Have you tried low fat ground beef? That's radical, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Canned cat food? Overripe melon? Worms & slugs? Cooked fish?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Sunlight has something that even the best bulbs can't replicate. I'd be inclined to have him outside as much as possible, but not below 60, since he seems to respond to it.

Sometimes keeping them out is wrong, sometimes bringing them in is wrong. What does your gut tell you to try?

Have you tried low fat ground beef? That's radical, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Canned cat food? Overripe melon? Worms & slugs? Cooked fish?
I feel like he should be outside more because he seems to respond to it better than being inside under the mercury vapor bulb, but I had to bring him in today and tonight because when I went out to get him for his daily soak and assist feeding, I saw that he had been attacked by what I'm assuming is bugs. His right upper eyelid is missing the scales and is swollen with a single small spot having been bleeding but barely, and scales are missing on his neck kind of under where the lip of his shell would come over his neck naturally if it hadn't been taken off by either a dog or a lawn mower, the skin right there is very slightly swollen but there's no blood except for that spot on his eyelid (it's still red but no blood is coming out so I think it's turned into a tiny scab at this point). Before I picked him up I noticed that he had wedged his head up against the plum tree in his enclosure and had all of his limbs, head, and tail as far tucked into his shell as he possibly could (he came to me very very overweight and can't close his shell at all). I feel so completely horrible for having unknowingly allowed this to happen to him and it broke my heart to see him pressed up against that tree with everything tucked in after I realized why he was.
Because of this, I think I will have to keep him inside until he is 100% better, only allowing very heavily supervised excursions outside for an hour or three a day, depending on how much time I have and how he seems to be doing that day. I feel so horrible. I cleaned him off and put antibiotic ointment on the two spots and checked for more, but I couldn't find any. He was so weak from trying to protect himself that I was able to assist feed him almost the entire prescribed daily amount because he couldn't fight me like he has been this past week. He was so tired that when I gave him a couple breaks during the feeding, he just laid his head down on the towel neck half outstretched and closed his eyes. After I felt it was enough and he laid his head down again to rest more, I grabbed my jar of extra virgin coconut oil I bought specifically for him and gently rubbed some on his shell and limbs. It seems to calm him and he seems to enjoy the feeling and the nice gentle coconut smell because as I rubbed it on each leg, he would lift and outstretch that leg as far as he could to help me. After I was done he tucked his nose up against his left front leg and took many deep breaths. That's why I think he enjoys it. Because I wasn't going to put him back outside I didn't bother washing it off after 15 minutes like I did last week and instead just let him enjoy it until it looked like he was falling asleep, then I picked him up and put him in the hospital tank I still have up for him. He went to sleep under his log hide inside it.
I haven't tried low fat ground beef or cooked fish, but I have fried low fat moist dog food, overripe strawberries, overripe cantaloupe, worms, mealworms, slugs, crickets, nightcrawlers (those really big worms that everyone else goes friggin' nuts over). The most he ever did was take a very tiny small bite out of the cantaloupe and chew and swallow it very slowly. That's it, only that single tiny bite. He stares at wriggling worms and slugs and nightcrawlers, stares at the crawling crickets, and does nothing. He used to go batshit over strawberries and mealworms and earthworms. Now he just stares at it before turning away. After he took the bite of the cantaloupe I got so excited I pulled out my phone to record him taking another bite, but he never took that next bite. I've been leaving pieces of cantaloupe out for him every day but he never bothers. He will sniff and sniff and sniiiiiiiff the fruit and dog food, but then turn away. I'll try the ground beef and fish. Is there a specific type of fish that is best or one I should avoid? I usually go for talapia (sp?) for myself.
My vet did suggest I go and buy that gelatinous turtle food she said they make for tortoise's, but to look for one made for box turtles. She said maybe the color and strong smell of that combined with the easiness of biting/chewing because of it being gelatin would make him start eating again. I couldn't find it anywhere but I did find RepCal Maintenance Formula Box Turtle Food Fortified Daily Diet that every single review I've read makes box turtles go crazy for it. Quite a few reviews even said they had to start feeding their turtles in separate containers because they loved the food so much that when one would finish they would stampede to the next turtle's bowl and fight that turtle for any pieces that turtle hadn't finished yet. So considering how well received this food seems to be by 80+ reviewers, I ordered it online and it should be here tomorrow, and hopefully Splinter will feel the same way about it.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I took some pictures if his eye and neck after I cleaned them and put ointment on them, careful to not get it in his eye
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447094.442210.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447108.140082.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447135.864921.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447154.851851.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447181.771344.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447202.144322.jpg

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447280.736375.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447301.032963.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447317.721261.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447365.499250.jpg in this one you can see his left eye is swollen. It's been like that since after he presented with symptoms a couple weeks ago. He can open it wide just fine, for some reason it's just a bit puffy.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447477.044243.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447501.915889.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447523.097428.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447542.071185.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447573.418593.jpg this is a close up of his neck. It's a really crappy photo, but you can see only the top layer of flesh and scales is gone
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438447662.460511.jpg here's a better one

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Okay so his eye had scabbed and was healing, but today the scab fell off and his lid looks like it did in the pictures I posted earlier, but less swollen and maybe more healed?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438999674.520826.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438999699.139510.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438999719.049583.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438999735.455431.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438999751.331645.jpg
Here is the scab.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438999773.181317.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438999784.990766.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438999800.629934.jpg
His neck looks fine, maybe scabbed as well but the scab hasn't fallen off yet. I'm mostly letting it go, just putting antibiotic ointment on it and cleaning it when need be. I'm more worried about the eye since it's right on the eye.

But his energy has been up, though he's still not 100%. He took a couple bites of a strawberry on his own, so that's good, but he won't even try most of the time, and when he does try it's no more than one or two bites.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
So just an up-date for everyone: Splinter's eye and neck are completely healed, and grew scales back. So YAYYY! Also, his last course of antibiotics were completed a week or so ago. He had another vet check last week and the vet said that I've been doing great with him and he seems good, though his muscles have wasted away a bit because of his lack of motion. I asked about doing hydrotherapy to try and help rebuild his muscles, and the vet said as long as I did it carefully and supervised 100% it would be a good way to go. So I've been doing that every day for a half hour at least, usually twice a day.
Also, SPLINTER HAS STARTED EATING ON HIS OWN!!!! I no longer have to force feed him! Although he's not eating as much as I would like, he is eating again. So I'm just offering big meals and leaving food with him all day that he can eat as he wishes. So far so good! And I finally was able to buy a gram scale so I can measure any weight gain weekly to see how much he is eating and if his muscles are growing (although I can also do that just by watching him move around--which he's doing better with as well!)
So I think we are out of the woods and all good!! :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So just an up-date for everyone: Splinter's eye and neck are completely healed, and grew scales back. So YAYYY! Also, his last course of antibiotics were completed a week or so ago. He had another vet check last week and the vet said that I've been doing great with him and he seems good, though his muscles have wasted away a bit because of his lack of motion. I asked about doing hydrotherapy to try and help rebuild his muscles, and the vet said as long as I did it carefully and supervised 100% it would be a good way to go. So I've been doing that every day for a half hour at least, usually twice a day.
Also, SPLINTER HAS STARTED EATING ON HIS OWN!!!! I no longer have to force feed him! Although he's not eating as much as I would like, he is eating again. So I'm just offering big meals and leaving food with him all day that he can eat as he wishes. So far so good! And I finally was able to buy a gram scale so I can measure any weight gain weekly to see how much he is eating and if his muscles are growing (although I can also do that just by watching him move around--which he's doing better with as well!)
So I think we are out of the woods and all good!! :D
So happy to hear of progress..fantastic!!

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Do you think that maybe his previous owner was feeding him the wrong food and he obviously liked this food, but it wasn't good for him. Then coming off it cold turkey put him in a withdrawal state, like someone coming off drugs?

Or am I thinking too much about this?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Do you think that maybe his previous owner was feeding him the wrong food and he obviously liked this food, but it wasn't good for him. Then coming off it cold turkey put him in a withdrawal state, like someone coming off drugs?

Or am I thinking too much about this?

I honestly have no idea what the previous owner fed him because of him having been left on my front step, but I assume it was mostly fruits because that is what he readily went for when I first had him. When I offered him live food, he looked confused at first but eventually ate it, so I am unsure if they offered him live food. But they definitely gave him lots of strawberries, considering the first time I pulled one out for him he went completely bonkers and appeared to be literally shaking with excitement for it as I brought it over. He didn't start to decline until I had him for almost a week, or at least that is when I started to notice symptoms of something being wrong.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Quite possibly sugar withdrawal. I went on a low sugar meal plan to kick start weight loss last year and it really affected me and my energy levels. It took a while for my body to get used to using energy from other sources, like protein.

I'm sure he'll get over it, but might take a while.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Quite possibly sugar withdrawal. I went on a low sugar meal plan to kick start weight loss last year and it really affected me and my energy levels. It took a while for my body to get used to using energy from other sources, like protein.

I'm sure he'll get over it, but might take a while.
No he definitely had the beginnings (or end tail) of an RI because he had a slight rattle when breathing and was open mouth breathing a bit. Either way, it's gone and he's getting better.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Great job getting this little one healthy.
Thanks! :D
He still isn't back to the energy level he was before, but he's slowly getting there. Most of the time I have to hunt him down in his enclosure and put the food near/in front of him at meal times for him to eat, but I think he would sniff it out if I didn't do that. This way I can see him eating, though, so it makes me feel better.

ANIMAL LOVER 2016

I will try to find out what to do but for now try the vet I will come back with an answer soon but for now shellbert and I wish you luckImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449438869.076458.jpg