Update on Little Half Face

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I thought he was going blind as he had stopped chasing the bugs and worms. I tried very hard to teach him to eat but he just wouldn't cooperate. I have cared for many blind animals so I used all my tricks on him, but he hasn't eaten for about 2 weeks. So I took him to the Vet last night and he was euthanized. He was blind in his only eye. I am off to bury him now. It makes me sad because he was such a little fighter. Half his face missing and he still ate. But I guess when he lost all his sight he just gave up. It looks like losing his sight was just too much for him. His whole story is just so sad...

28c3jvb.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
My condolences Maggie. I know how badly it hurts you to have to something like this, and it is completely unfair that someone else screwed his life up and you were the one that ended up hurt for it. Thank you for loving him and letting him go. I know you did everything humanely possible.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
It is sad, and you made a valiant effort. However, with an animal as injured and ailing as that, I think the most humane thing is euthanasia. I think you made the right choice.

I remember you explained how this boxie became disfigured in the first place: the previous owner was keeping too many box turtles in too confined an enclosure, prompting them to fight with each other for food and space. Sadly, that happens all too often. I've heard of baby boxies biting each other's limbs off under similar circumstances as well. Hopefully, people will realize in advance that turtles and tortoises, like most animals, need plenty of room to thrive.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am so sorry. R.I.P. Little half face. Maggie you are so amazing, you have trick's for getting blind animals to thrive!! I am sure not many people can say that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw-w, darn it. That's too bad. But there's not much you can do when they lose the will to fight and live.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That is sad, I think the whole forum was rooting for this little guy.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
wow you are brave for taking on such demanding injury,i dont kno if have it in me to see a turtle in pain like that everyday but sumone had to do it and i commend you for that one,THATS NO LIFE FOR HIM TO LIVE AND I THINK YOU DID WUT U COULD AND ULTIMATLY THE RIGHT THING WAS DONE...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
One of the saddest cases I've seen. Very brave of you Maggie and I think it was the right thing to do. So sorry.

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks everyone. But I do want to say that he was not in any pain. His face had already healed before she brought him to me. It was a horrific looking injury, but I don't think he was in pain. I certainly would not have tried to keep him alive under those circumstances. He just went blind. And wouldn't help me teach him to eat. He had given up the will to live.

I have had numerous blind animals and have a blind Ornate box turtle right now. I put her food against the side of her habitat and put her smack in front of it and she finds it and chows down. I also use tweezers to feed her meal worms and night crawlers and other bugs and she eats them with relish.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maggie3fan said:
. I also use tweezers to feed her meal worms and night crawlers and other bugs and she eats them with relish.

It just begs to be asked, "What kind of relish does she prefer? I like salsa, myself."

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
maggie3fan said:
. I also use tweezers to feed her meal worms and night crawlers and other bugs and she eats them with relish.

It just begs to be asked, "What kind of relish does she prefer? I like salsa, myself."
Hey I thought I was the comedian here? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.