Update on the new baby Florida Boxie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
One of my friends asked me to post a pic of the baby next to a ruler for a size comparison. Thought you guys might enjoy the cuteness :)

I weighed her today and she is 43 grams and was born in August 2011, do u think that it is a good weight? I have been soaking her daily and feeding her every other day (I read in a book that it is a good idea)..

Thanks everyone !

Attachments

• Ruler .jpg
    Ruler .jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 48

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very cute:D some friendly advice. Listen to the people on here about how to care for your little boxie. Most info out there is wrong. I would almost bet everything the book you found info in is very out dated. Let us know everything about your set up, temps, UVB, humidity, food, substrate, encloseure size and anything else you can think of and the many boxie people on this forum can give you all the right advice you would ever need.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Hi Barb ! Its nice to see someone else from Chicago on here, do u go to the Chicago Herp Society meetings at all ? Anyways, I have her in a heavy duty rubbermaid container for right now (it is navy blue so she cant see out incase she is shy). Its about 18 gallons. I have her basking spot just under 90 degrees, she has a 5.0 Repti-Sun UVB light, the humidity is around 60% during the day and %70 at night, for now the cage just has a water bowl and food bowl with Rep-Cal box turtle diet in it, the substrate is mainly cypress mulch mixed with some coconut husk. She stays hidden all day and night and only comes out because I dig her out to feed and soak her. I have been soaking her everyday for about 30 min (or until she starts to fuss ad get out) and i have feed her every other day. I have given her small worms one day and crickets on another and at every meal, I offer her one type of green or vegetable (ex: Kale, Swiss Chard, Escarole, Lettuce, Grated Carrots) and one type of fruit (a small portion). She has been alert and active when I take her out but she does not come out willingly and I have yet to see her poop in her water bowl (although other members said that it was common not to see the hatchlings relieve themselves)..
Just ask if I forgot to include anything !!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
do far it sounds good : ) but id feed her everyday for the first year i tend to let them eat as much as they can in a single sitting : )

and as far as the bugs your feeding are you dusting them with calcium? or vitamins? and the worms are these meal worms are garden worms ( you know worms worms : ) )

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I dust once a week with extra calcium with vitamin D 3 and herptivite . The worms are called Repti-Worms, they are about a quarter inch long and gut loaded . She is not a big fan of crickets but she loved the low fat wet dog food i gave her today !! I also boiled some chicken the chopped it in the food processor today so I can freeze little bags of it .. does anyone know what a good type of fish is to steam for turtles ??? I personally don't eat fish, but read that it is food for boxies to get a variety of foods ..

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i dont feed fish and, depending i wouldnt even suggest it i know they can get worms and such from them but of course this is from raw fish, anyways in the spring or even now depending on your weather go bug hunting this will save money and provide good wild nutriant rich food : ) all worms beatles slugs etc!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
pryncesssc said:
I dust once a week with extra calcium with vitamin D 3 and herptivite . The worms are called Repti-Worms, they are about a quarter inch long and gut loaded . She is not a big fan of crickets but she loved the low fat wet dog food i gave her today !! I also boiled some chicken the chopped it in the food processor today so I can freeze little bags of it .. does anyone know what a good type of fish is to steam for turtles ??? I personally don't eat fish, but read that it is food for boxies to get a variety of foods ..

I sometimes use canned white fish (by Wellness) also Venison, to mix with veggies and greens if I want to start them on veg.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Ok thanks for the tips! My only thing with bugs from outside is that I live in Chicago so its too cold right now anyways , but also we have small lots and we don't fertilize or use pesticides , but our neighbors do so I am VERY reluctant to take anything from the yard ! I boiled some skinless chicken breast yesterday and then put it in the food processor to break it up a little and she had some this morning and loved it !!! Although she was not fond of the greens I mixed in Haha she pushes them out of her mouth with her hand.

Anyways, yesterday I added a potted plant to her tank and im going to try to grow fresh mesculn lettuce for her ..

Status
Not open for further replies.