Urgent help needed! (water turned red)

Adler

Urgent help needed! The water suddenly turned red and its the first time in history this happened. The head of the turtle look abit discoloured. What might be the reason for this happening as the water smells like blood but cant find any physical cuts or scars. What might be the cause? Thank you.image1.JPG image2.JPG

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Urgent help needed! The water suddenly turned red and its the first time in history this happened. The head of the turtle look abit discoloured. What might be the reason for this happening as the water smells like blood but cant find any physical cuts or scars. What might be the cause? Thank you.View attachment 139701 View attachment 139702
Do you think it could be blood in the urine/poop
or maybe its not that drastic.What have they been eating?
if you think it is definitely blood then maybe you need to see a vet asap

Adler

They have been eating the same food for years and this is the first time it happened, one of them poops properly while the other pictured one doesn't really poop, could it be constipation?

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hope everything is ok! a little bit of blood will turn alot of water red so hopfully its not to severe.

perhaps putting them on newspaper for a little bit would help locate any cuts?

Adler

no cuts, physically inspected both of them so it has to be the poop right and maybe one has constipation

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
They have been eating the same food for years and this is the first time it happened, one of them poops properly while the other pictured one doesn't really poop, could it be constipation?
Maybe trying to pass a kidney stone or a small one eaten from the soil - I am only guessing, I think I would see the vet asap.
@yvonne or @Tom may have some ideas

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
no soil contact at all.
What sort of substrate do they have? Anything in there he could have eaten?
Have they been wandering around the house and maybe picked up something?
I really wish I could be more help than just posing questions about possibilities.
Perhaps if you do as johnandjade suggested and keep them separately on paper for few days
- possibly white rather than print though you - may see if it happens when they wee and which one its
coming from.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
if there is a chance that something has been injested perhaps this thread could be of some help..
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Finally.122543/

its a worst case senario i know but quick thinking saved the day. i really hope it's nothing as serious as this but just trying to think of what could be the cause. i found about a hlf dozen stones in coco coir bricks while hydrating them last week! thankfull it was just for grow trays and a strongly worded email was sent to seller!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Are those RES?
Are they living in a pond? I hope you solve the mystery!
Can you post a picture of your enclosure for us?
What are you feeding them?

Adler

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG
Found out which one is injured after one night of separation and after thorough inspection of the injured one I spotted a horizontal crack as shown in the picture. What to do for first aid as I cant go to the vet until tomorrow, tape over the crack and keep it dry? Thanks everyone for the reply i really appreciate it.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
glad you've managed to find the cause of the problem, i guess the shell isn't as bad if it were an internal problem? sorry i cant be of any help but i'm sure someone will advise you soon. keep us posted on how it goes, wishing you best of luck!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
any update on how your little one is getting on? hope all is ok

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Gald to have just read that you found out what is wrong with which tort, and wishes for your cute tort to get well SOON.

Please keep us updated.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.