URGENT HIBERNATION HELP!

mbunyan

Location (City and/or State)
Stoke
Hi all,

My tortoise is around 50 years old. I have had him since I was little. He hibernates in a hotel mini bar every year, which holds a good constant temperature of 4-6 degrees c.
He hasn’t eaten for a month, and has done a last poo 2 weeks ago. When I was bathing him 2 weeks ago, just about to put him into hibernation, he did a wee in his warm bath. Last night the same white discharge, although a smaller amount appeared in his bath. I keep bathing him so he can drink through his cloaka, but he can’t hibernate with an empty bladder. He is desperate to hibernate though, and in the uk the weather has just got cold. He is a Greek spur thigh.

How do I tell when to put him in the fridge, as he seems to wee every 3 or 4 days? How do I tell if he has had a drink?

He is around 2.4 kg so just the right weight for him as last year he was 2.2 kg on going into hibernation.

Please help me with some advice? Does he drink every time he does a wee?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a Russian and I do not brumate him. However, if a tortoise keeps drinking, he is going to pee.
@Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

My tortoise is around 50 years old. I have had him since I was little. He hibernates in a hotel mini bar every year, which holds a good constant temperature of 4-6 degrees c.
He hasn’t eaten for a month, and has done a last poo 2 weeks ago. When I was bathing him 2 weeks ago, just about to put him into hibernation, he did a wee in his warm bath. Last night the same white discharge, although a smaller amount appeared in his bath. I keep bathing him so he can drink through his cloaka, but he can’t hibernate with an empty bladder. He is desperate to hibernate though, and in the uk the weather has just got cold. He is a Greek spur thigh.

How do I tell when to put him in the fridge, as he seems to wee every 3 or 4 days? How do I tell if he has had a drink?

He is around 2.4 kg so just the right weight for him as last year he was 2.2 kg on going into hibernation.

Please help me with some advice? Does he drink every time he does a wee?
You have given him ample opportunity to void the bladder and drink in new water. You can commence brumation any time.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
You have given him ample opportunity to void the bladder and drink in new water. You can commence brumation any time.
Boy....that was short n sweet.
Goodluck with the brumation!