UV fixture

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
The fixture for my uv light (24" tube) seems to not be working. I got a new bulb and it still won't turn on. Any recommendations for a new fixture?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
For uv I get mine from lightyourreptiles.com. Everything else from Lowes or Home Depot. I like their fixture with the mirror looking reflector as it also increases the amount of UVB directed down and therefor more is usable. Also means mounting height can be higher by about 50%

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
For uv I get mine from lightyourreptiles.com. Everything else from Lowes or Home Depot. I like their fixture with the mirror looking reflector as it also increases the amount of UVB directed down and therefor more is usable. Also means mounting height can be higher by about 50%
Thanks, any other suggestions?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I bet if it has a ballast in it, it went out. Easy to replace.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks, any other suggestions?
It does sound like a bad ballast in your current fixture.

Without seeing your enclosure, I would not presume to offer suggestions other than respond to your questions. I believe you have a Russian Tortoise? depending upon the enclosure, you can go with a fixture that will give the best mounting height in the range you need. I think you said you use a Zilla 10.0 tube in another post. If you're still using that one, and can easily do a mounting height of 10-12" then a fixture without a high reflective hood would work best. If you want to mount more in the 14-16" range, then the mirror-type high reflective hood I mentioned above would be your choice. A solarmeter to check your UV output and best height is best, but they are pricey. It will pay for itself over the next few years, in knowing when you actually need to replace a bulb instead of just guessing by manufacture recommendation.

Don't know where you are geographically, but if your tortoise gets outside time at least 2-3 times per week, the indoor UVB becomes unnecessary. So some if not most of the year, you can turn the UVB tube off and get a few years out of a single tube. But checking with a meter is the only way to know. I use the HO 12.0 arcadia with high reflective fixture from lightyourreptiles.com. I also have a fixture from Lowes next to it with two 6500K fluorescent bulbs for the ambient light. Those bulbs are much cheaper, and give a closer to daylight light output. I only need the UVB for about 4 hours a day through winter, and not at all in summer when they get outdoor time, so the UVB bulb last a long time. But... I believe all this is in Tom's posts on lighting that I'm sure you've read.