UV lamp - necessary with time outside?

Jaclynn0713

I am trying to get everything together so that we can bring home a redfoot tortoise at some point within the next month. I have a glass terrarium that is 36L x 18W x 16H. We live in Florida and we have a small patio that we plan to let our tort explore during the day when either myself or my spouse is home. Likely at least 3 days a week for around 15 minutes to an hour (depends on how long my daughter wants to be out). Is this adequate to skip out on the UV lamp? Should I get one just in case? I did some reading and I think this would be enough based on other experienced owners responses, but I just want to make sure.

Jaclynn0713

I think we will be buying a hatchling (I found one local breeder and there's a reptile store with a RF that's a few months old. Is that size adequate for at least a year for one that's young? We can return the cage if it won't work, but I read online somewhere that it would be adequate for young ones.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I think we will be buying a hatchling (I found one local breeder and there's a reptile store with a RF that's a few months old. Is that size adequate for at least a year for one that's young? We can return the cage if it won't work, but I read online somewhere that it would be adequate for young ones.

A 40 is okay to start a small hatchling, but they will outgrow something that small in a few months. If its already a few months old, I'd get something bigger.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This would be my suggestion,
fellow Floridian.
Buy or make an indoor and an outdoor enclosure and buy a Redfoot tortoise that is already 6 or more inches.
You'll have fewer health problems and worry about predation.
A simple outdoor habitat could be just some cement blocks, soil, bark, a water pan and a small trash can partially buried laying on its side for shelter. Maybe a few potted plants.
Not that there is anything wrong with keeping a tortoise in doors. It's just that here, a Redfoot is ideal for our climate like 250 days out of the year.

Jaclynn0713

A 40 is okay to start a small hatchling, but they will outgrow something that small in a few months. If its already a few months old, I'd get something bigger.
Wow, really? I was following a guideline I read on this site (I'll have to try and find it) that a general rule is 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths. Assuming a 2 in starting size, and 2 inches growth in one year, that should give me at least one year, maybe two? I could keep them in that until around 4.5" SCL by that recommendation. We really only plan on having the tort indoors for 1-2 years. We are in an apartment and after speaking to our complex management, we can't have the cage/enclosure stuff outside on our patio. So we are stuck with something indoors at least until our lease in up in Dec.

Zero, I appreciate your recommendation, but we would really like to try raising a baby tortoise. We have already found an exotic vet in the area in case problems arise. I spoke to one tort breeder who we are considering purchasing from about the difficulty of raising a tort from a young age and they assured me that, although they can be shy at first, they haven't found baby RF or CHRF to be hard to care for.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everybody you ask will tell you something different. Tortoises need a lot of room to move. Once you cram all the furniture, plants, water and food dishes, hides, etc. into a 40, there is very little walking room left. Its not that your tortoise will drop dead in too small of a tank, its that they need more room than that. You could survive if locked in a bathroom, but your health, well being and mental state would be significantly better if you had the whole house to roam. I'm recommending you give your tortoise more room to roam.

Jaclynn0713

I completely understand what you're saying. I guess I just assumed I'd get at least a year out of it. I bought it 50% off so I shouldn't have a problem selling it used for at least what I invested in it. Hopefully by then we will have a yard to work with. At what SCL should I move him/her out of the tank and into something larger? I don't mind doing it sooner than I expected, I mostly just want to know it will be okay to keep the baby tort in here at least until our lease is up in Dec.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you near Broward County?
Broward Avian and Exotic, Dr. Keleher, is great with tortoises.
As for locating a baby RF, Beverly Pets in Hollywood has a staffer with his own torts. Or there are many breeders.
A baby can indeed live indoors.
Check out a "closed chamber" type set up.
It will keep in warmth and humidity and will be much easier to maintain.