Uv lights

unclerick

Location (City and/or State)
N Ireland
Hi Guys,
I don't know this could be a stupid question but I don't mind.
Uv lights. Does The higher the wattage of the bulb mean a warmer enclosure.

I was checking the one I have and it's 25 watt and it's coiled. Do I need to change this?
All help appreciated.
Cheers
Rick

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a lighting summary that hopefully answers all your questions:

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food. This must be on continuously for 12-14 hours and must not be used with a thermostat.
7841571C-42F5-4B7C-BD25-0677A1DAB685-4268-000003A024A79717_tmp.jpg

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell. This must also be on for 12-14 hours.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts) It must not be used with a thermostat, rheostat or dimmer.

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used. These are compact bulbs
FEBEF134-BBA6-47F6-9A74-A7D4B30A496E-4268-0000039EBA8FA138_tmp.jpg
F38DEBC7-45BB-4109-AF03-E455424F7C5E-4268-0000039EC1CBD753_tmp.jpg

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which MUST be used with a thermostat.
1A8D0A70-46C1-4C98-8F01-F831A96A1AF6-813-000000A898D12E99_tmp.jpg

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In direct answer to your question, it’s the wattage of your basking bulb that affects the temperature.

If you need to increase temperature under a basking bulb, you lower it towards the substrate or buy a higher wattage bulb (increase from 60 to 100W perhaps) You won’t get a 25W basking bulb.

The important thing about a UVB bulb is its UVB output. This is measured in a percentage output. 5.0 is usually enough for forest species like red/yellow foots and box turtles. You can go up to 10.0 for other species.

The Wattage of the UVB will of course affect the enclosure temperature, but ignore it. If you are trying to warm up an enclosure, it’s the Wattage of the basking bulb and CHE that matters.

unclerick

N Ireland
In direct answer to your question, it’s the wattage of your basking bulb that affects the temperature.

If you need to increase temperature under a basking bulb, you lower it towards the substrate or buy a higher wattage bulb (increase from 60 to 100W perhaps) You won’t get a 25W basking bulb.

The important thing about a UVB bulb is its UVB output. This is measured in a percentage output. 5.0 is usually enough for forest species like red/yellow foots and box turtles. You can go up to 10.0 for other species.

The Wattage of the UVB will of course affect the enclosure temperature, but ignore it. If you are trying to warm up an enclosure, it’s the Wattage of the basking bulb and CHE that matters.
Ok thanks again.

Would I need a seperate lamp if I need to get one of them CHE lamps.

Also could you tag me in the correct bulb for basking with uv so I make sure I'm getting the correct one.

The one I have been sold is wrong ...

Thanks again
Rick

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am in the wrong country to recommend specific lamps. I am in the UK.

You need:

A basking lamp AND a UVB tube for daytime

OR

A Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) for daytime which does both jobs, but is expensive and must be replaced every 6-9 months as the UVB output drops off long before the bulb blows.

You may also need a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) and thermostat to maintain ambient (general) air temperatures day and night

unclerick

N Ireland
I am in the wrong country to recommend specific lamps. I am in the UK.

You need:

A basking lamp AND a UVB tube for daytime

OR

A Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB) for daytime which does both jobs, but is expensive and must be replaced every 6-9 months as the UVB output drops off long before the bulb blows.

You may also need a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) and thermostat to maintain ambient (general) air temperatures day and night
I'm in the UK too lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In that case go for a reptiglo/zoomed 10.0 tube and separate basking lamp (a 100W reflector bulb from B&Q - not the low energy equivalent - will do the job)
OR
A reptiglo/zoomed MVB 100W

And if you need ambient heat, especially at night and especially if you have a baby, get a Ceramic Heat Emitter and thermostat (brand not a particular problem)

unclerick

N Ireland
In that case go for a reptiglo/zoomed 10.0 tube and separate basking lamp (a 100W reflector bulb from B&Q - not the low energy equivalent - will do the job)
OR
A reptiglo/zoomed MVB 100W

And if you need ambient heat, especially at night and especially if you have a baby, get a Ceramic Heat Emitter and thermostat (brand not a particular problem)
Cheers your a star

unclerick

N Ireland
I take it the actual light for the tube is just a normal light it's the tube that counts and am I ok to screw it to the inside of my enclosure

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The light fitting is a standard tube fitting (no cover). You can buy from a pet shop or from B&Q. Read the instructions on the bulb you choose for the optimum mounting height