New lights, cheap budget

tortgirl123

Okay so here's the deal, my tortoise gets here Tuesday or Wednesday ( I can't remember ) and I need a new UV bulb. The one I got is a 125 watt mercury vapor bulb, it's way to hot! I have a very limited budget. I ordered light stands so maybe that can help,Those come Thursday. See the Dilemma? If my tort gets here Tuesday and I don't have the stands it will be to hot.I can't have the enclosure too hot or else I could kill him. What should I do? I know Home Depot has very cheap UV lights can I get one of those until I get the lamp stand? Or should I just get a new bulb and keep it even when I get the stand? I really cannot afford to go and buy a new bulb from Petsmart, it's so expensive! What watt should I get for a baby?
Thanks for all the help! ;)

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
If your fixture will allow it, you can use a normal light bulb for heating/lighting. Normal house bulbs are usually $3 a pack, so it's very cheap. And for the UV, your tortoise should will be okay for a few days without UV. I read that they can be okay for up to a week without UV. So three days should do no harm.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I would just use an incandescent bulb or a flood bulb in your dome until your stand gets in.

tortgirl123

My basking bulb works great! So when he gets here I just turn on that bulb and he will be fine until I get my new stands? Wow! That was easy! Thanks guys!