lights for RF?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
@Tom which bulb would be best for someone who prefers to keep the lights on for 8 to 10 hours? Could I still use the Arcadia HO but use the 6% instead of 12? Or put the UV on a timer but also use a different light source for daylight?

I'm getting new tube lights this spring so I'm curious.

My reds are 6" in length.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm fairly new to keeping RF tortoises, but I've read that they don't really like a strong, hot light. So for mine, and for my YF tortoises, when they're confined to the shed because of cold weather, I have their light diffused with plants.

I was given a couple of the tube-type fluorescent UVB bulbs last year and they're great. Provide lots of light. But I think they're a little too bright for RF and YF tortoises. I only use them in the leopard area.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
All I use is a heater on a thermostats . Uvb fixtures on timers . They don't like hot bright lighting .

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Yes, mine never bask under UVB either. I keep lights for plants more then the babies I guess. I think it!s more about the calcium synthesis than anything else, so I just try to be sure that they get outside for natural sunlight and exercise. My UVB strip is 30inch desert UVB type of light. Again went for the "desert" (stronger) for the plants that I'm trying to grow in there. For me it's been trial and error, but so far my babies seem to grow well and smooth, so I might doing something right

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
My redfoot loves to bask! I have a MVB and a CHE on a thermostat and Pixel will sit directly under the MVB on his basking stone multiple times per day. Maybe it depends on their character?

Pearly

5 Year Member
I use a Reptisun 5.0 strip UVB
If the enclosure is at least 80-82, mine never bask.
They don't like bright lights and don't like it much warmer than 90. IMO
I noticed that too. Mine don't bask, they seem to be most active at around 85F give or take, and anything over 90F they start "panting" like dogs on hot summer day, I also found a red bulb that I used for few hrs till able to get another CHE and white flood light for more heat. They seemed to really enjoy the "redness", or... I misinterpreted all that activity. But they came to the food and water dishes several times walked around a lot, climbed on top of their hides, came to my hand for head strokes, drank and got themselves in for little soak in their water dish. I think I'll experiment few more times with that red build during a day. I still have the UVB fluorescent strip light, and 100w basking bulb, the red one was just for interim added daytime heat until I get to insulating the sides of this tank. I'll try to take pics next time I do that.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I use a Reptisun 5.0 strip UVB
If the enclosure is at least 80-82, mine never bask.
They don't like bright lights and don't like it much warmer than 90. IMO

This topic made me slightly worried about my temps, because my redfoot is basking regularly. However, I double checked and the coolest corner of his enclosure is 26.7C = 80F. Most spots are a bit warmer than this. Still, he loves to sit under his MVB. Maybe he loves the warm sun, just like his mom :)

Pearly

5 Year Member
New piece of input, my RF babies are small (about 3-3.5 in) and never used to bask under white light, bust started basking every time I put in red bulb during a day. I'm trying out little routine where I turn the red light on after heir meal. Immediately after they get done eating they go "red-light-bathing", then back to the food, and back under the red light. This is repeated 3-4 times. I never saw this behavior before the red bulb. This red bulb thing came totally as accident.
The temp in the area surrounding red light is 86-87F right above substrate level, can't find my gun thermometer so not sure what it is directly under the bulb but must be comfy enough for them to want to sit there and then go back for more food and come back again for more red light.