UV Strip Question

Scute Mob

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern CT
I am looking to buy this hood: http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?id=SRZ08617

I am wondering if the T8 included (bulb) is suitable for my hatchling redfoot or if I am better off with the Reptiglo 5.0.

Added Question: Is the Reptiglo 5.0 the most recommended strip, or should I look into something stronger/weaker? I am just looking for my options.

Thank you!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'd get a t5 10.0 and place it 12 to 14 inches from the tortoise . On the box it will give you mounting instructions .

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
You can buy hoods (fluorescent fixtures) at any place. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc probably have better, cheaper solutions.

I don't know about Reptiglo, but I use Zoomed's Reptisun 10.0 for T8 because it's readily available.

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
I'd get a t5 10.0 and place it 12 to 14 inches from the tortoise . On the box it will give you mounting instructions .

My biggest concern is my redfoot getting what he needs UV wise but not too much. Is that suitable for the Redfoot in particular? Thank you so much for your help!

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
You can buy hoods (fluorescent fixtures) at any place. Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc probably have better, cheaper solutions.

I don't know about Reptiglo, but I use Zoomed's Reptisun 10.0 for T8 because it's readily available.

Do you by any chance have a link to the fixtures on one of those sites? I can't seem to find where to look.... Thank you so much!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Do you by any chance have a link to the fixtures on one of those sites? I can't seem to find where to look.... Thank you so much!

No link, but any shoplight fixture made for T8 bulbs (if you want to go with T8) will do. Try not to get caught up in particular brands. When it comes to light fixtures, there's nothing really special about one over the other.

And about the strength of T5 lights in regards to @mike taylor 's advice, I almost always trust his advice. I doubt he'd ever steer you wrong. If you're worried, add tons of plants; and your tortoise will be hiding so much that you'll wonder why you even have special UVB lights :p