Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Ok so I have been looking at about a thousand threads now about lighting and there are so many different opinions my Brain is gonna explode! I will be getting a Redfoot hatchling soon and want everything to be perfect when he/she arrives! Right now I have a enclosure that is 3 feet long 2 feet wide and about a foot high so for UVB I am going with a T8 5.0 tube bulb. Now the real question is the basking light or do I get a CHE? I would also like to grow some plants in the enclosure for him to graze and for humidity was wanting to grow some spring mix or some broadleaf testudo mix from tortoise supply. I have heard people saying use a basking light and then I hear people say to use a CHE with a temp control if someone can give me some guidance with this part of the enclosure I would greatly appreciate it thanks again in advanced!!!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
Ok so I have been looking at about a thousand threads now about lighting and there are so many different opinions my Brain is gonna explode! I will be getting a Redfoot hatchling soon and want everything to be perfect when he/she arrives! Right now I have a enclosure that is 3 feet long 2 feet wide and about a foot high so for UVB I am going with a T8 5.0 tube bulb. Now the real question is the basking light or do I get a CHE? I would also like to grow some plants in the enclosure for him to graze and for humidity was wanting to grow some spring mix or some broadleaf testudo mix from tortoise supply. I have heard people saying use a basking light and then I hear people say to use a CHE with a temp control if someone can give me some guidance with this part of the enclosure I would greatly appreciate it thanks again in advanced!!!
your on the correct path that UVB is Fine, don’t use the Coil ones they are known to Cause Eye Damage. i’ll go with a CHE because your tortoise it’s a Red-foot they don’t like or seem to like Bright lighting. make sure to get one that’s able to keep the enclosure with Temperature Between 75-90 i’ll go with a 100 watt CHE depending in the size. the one i have doesn’t warm all my enclosure ( i have a Sulcata) so i have a mercury bulb and a T8