UVA/UVB

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, California
Hello,
In need of another light.. in the pass I've choosen the Powersun Zoo Med
100w mercury ballasted uva/uvb bulb. Cost $99.00 since this broke . I am asking for advice .. a more afordable bulb. Tort table 3x6 and 2feet deep . Has shelter with heat bulb, pls. Advise. I do take King Arthur outdoors .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How often do you take him outside? Mercury bulbs are no longer recommended. A tube florescent is the way for uvb and Arcadia's seems to be the best.
But if you get him outside daily you don't need a uvb bulb. Also depending on size, he could be living outside 24/7.

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California
It's been cold here 58 high so if.. above he goes out daily . I have a florescent strip.. what size and I will look for Arcadias . He is 7yrs old Marginate Tortoise no flare in shell yet.. looks like slight starting to grow .. I need to measure him again and weigh him. But I think he can live outside.. I was thinking about that. But need to build one..he loves to dig at the fence. Thanks 4 quick reply .. shopping now

King Arthur

Tortoise Club
Bay Area, California
It's been cold here 58 high so if.. above he goes out daily . I have a florescent strip.. what size and I will look for Arcadias . He is 7yrs old Marginate Tortoise no flare in shell yet.. looks like slight starting to grow .. I need to measure him again and weigh him. But I think he can live outside.. I was thinking about that. But need to build one..he loves to dig at the fence. Thanks 4 quick reply .. shopping now
T-5 Arcadia uvb bulb 24 inch. If this is correct does it stay on all the time ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds good. No you don't need it on all the time. About 6 hours daily off at night. When he goes outside for a few hours when it's warmer, you don't need the uvb on at all that day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Give this a read through. It shows the proper type of heated shelter that would allow him to live outside full time, but still protect him and give him the correct temps even in inclement weather.