UVA & UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donna P

5 Year Member
Getting ready 2 set up our under the bed storage box (it's really big). Need some advice as what is best for UVB light, spotlight or the tube??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Donna:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Our answer to your question sort of depends upon what kind of tortoise you have.

A redfoot can get by with the tube-type UVB bulbs, while a desert-type tortoise or one of the Mediterraneans require more and in that case a MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb) is better.

Under no circumstances should you allow yourself to be talked into purchasing one of the newer type compact fluorescent or spiral bulbs. They can be harmful to a baby tortoise's eyes.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am not going to make a bulb suggestion, just am wanting to say, "Hi and welcome!" :tort:

Radiated

5 Year Member
What about radiated tortoises? Do they require MVB bulbs? or can they do with UVB-Tube?

Donna P

5 Year Member
RE: UVA & UVB

Hi I'm from Essex, England. We are getting the babies at the end of this month!! They are hermann tortoises!! Any advice would b much appreciated :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Donna P said:
Hi I'm from Essex, England. We are getting the babies at the end of this month!! They are hermann tortoises!! Any advice would b much appreciated :)

Hi Donna and welcome! Have you already started an introduction thread for yourself yet, so we can get to know you?

Donna P

5 Year Member

Jacqui said:
Hi Donna and welcome! Have you already started an introduction thread for yourself yet, so we can get to know you?

I'm sure i have but I can't c it anywhere??

Akronic

5 Year Member
if you plan on keeping it under the bed i wouldnt do a MVB that's a good way to burn your *** LITERALLY i'd go for tubes although they arent the best choice ppl say. look into this item http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/light_cycle_unit.php it might help eliminate some of the fixtures gettin caught up on your bed frame as you slide it out from under. im guessing thats how your gonna do it

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Im pretty sure he ment hes using a under the bed storage tote, not setting it up under the bed, I would suggest a Mvb. Emysemys (yvonne) I would take her advice.

Donna P

5 Year Member

Hahaha that's really made me laugh!! I'm not setting it up under the bed, it's just what the box is called!! Thank u every 1 for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.