UVB and tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
So, I read a comment on a Facebook group..

"I know what kind of bulb it is, but how is the tort getting UVB unless it's directly under the bulb? That's why linear bulbs are also needed. Like I said, if you would research to confirm what I said, for torts the UVB bulb needs to cover 80% of the enclosure so you can prevent MBD. And truly your basking lamp should be on the side furthest from the hide so you.can have a hot and cool side, not directly in the middle. Just some sound advice from an experienced tortoise owner."

I've never heard that the UVB bulb needs to cover 80% of the enclosure to prevent MVB. Isn't just one bulb enough for UVB?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
When tortoises bask they should receive enough of the essential uv rays. Even when they are outdoors they hide from direct sunlight as to not over heat.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
That's what I thought..I just wanted to confirm since I have never heard before a statement like that, thought maybe I missed some important info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's not true and its based on nothing but unfounded opinion. Has this person ever had a tortoise show signs of MBD with a tortoise under a correctly used and UV meter tested MVB? Very little about UV is known and actually been studied and quantified. There is no evidence to suggest that a MVB over one end of the enclosure is not enough to provide adequate UV for an indoor tortoise.

Since 1979, not a single chelonian I've ever kept has had UV over 80% of its enclosure and I've never had a single case of MBD. In fact I've cured several cases of MBD in other peoples animals without UV over 80% of the enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you ever been to the beach when the sky was overcast and the sun not shining? Have you ever been weeding your garden in the shade? I'll bet both time you've gone in the house with a sun burn. The UV rays aren't concentrated in a beam of light. They float around in space, under the trees, in the shade.

I don't listen to anything I hear on those sites. Another one is You Tube. They don't have good info and should all be taken with a grain of salt.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I wrote that Facebook post. And the reason I gave the advice I did was because it was given to me about 4 yrs ago when I got my juvenile sulcata. Tyanna is just out to vilify me. I believe the part was left out where my comment was made to someone who had a a 4'x3' enclosure and the only source of light or uvb was from one powersun lamp. If I was wrong, then.I guess things have changed in 4 yrs. Either way, I think her response to this whole thing is unjustified.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Hi everyone, I wrote that Facebook post. And the reason I gave the advice I did was because it was given to me about 4 yrs ago when I got my juvenile sulcata. Tyanna is just out to vilify me. I believe the part was left out where my comment was made to someone who had a a 4'x3' enclosure and the only source of light or uvb was from one powersun lamp. If I was wrong, then.I guess things have changed in 4 yrs. Either way, I think her response to this whole thing is unjustified.

I'm not here to fight, and I wasn't in that post to fight. I was there to give correct information, and when I saw your comment I wanted verification to make sure I MYSELF was doing things the correct way, as well. I'm done with this topic, as I am not here to argue and am done being thrown rude comments from you.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Forgot to add, I got that advice from this site from a couple of the people who have replied to this original post. Nothing like trying to attack someone who has the best intentions

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Best intentions is not being rude while giving the advice, or when someone comes back nicely to tell you that the information isn't correct, IMO.

I'm contacting an admin to remove this post, as I'm not here to argue, as I stated before.

Status
Not open for further replies.