UVB BULBS TO AVOID:

nootnootbu

Location (City and/or State)
USA
My understanding is dont use a red light. Basking wise a sulcata & russian need the same type basking area. A redfoot or other forest tortoise doesnt need that.

While we're talking about lights & heat sources just be ultra careful not to dry everything out. If you blaze a che, uv, & basking light it will be an oven. Thermostat & timers are your best friend

I'm planning to use only the UVB tubes and CHEs for heat, with the red foots and the Russian.

nootnootbu

USA
Your T8 can provide adequate UVB. But it must be within 6 or 8 inches of the animal and not required to pass through a screen. A screen blocks out at least 40% of the useful UVB.

You mean a screen with narrow mesh? I am planning to use DIY screens (just around the lights) that are made from hardware cloth with much larger square holes between wires. If this is problematic, I can suspend the lights from the hardware cloth instead.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You mean a screen with narrow mesh? I am planning to use DIY screens (just around the lights) that are made from hardware cloth with much larger square holes between wires. If this is problematic, I can suspend the lights from the hardware cloth instead.
Hardware mesh would definitely be less restrictive. But how much less would be a guess.
Let's guess 20%.

nootnootbu

USA
Hardware mesh would definitely be less restrictive. But how much less would be a guess.
Let's guess 20%.
I would guess it would be a complicated equation to figure out based on the size of the squares too.
Wherever possible, I will use it to suspend the lights from rather than placing them on top of it, at least for the UV.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would guess it would be a complicated equation to figure out based on the size of the squares too.
Wherever possible, I will use it to suspend the lights from rather than placing them on top of it, at least for the UV.
I've done the same before with short wood screws and large fender washers.

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
Hanging the lights whether from ceiling hooks or lamp stands has worked best for me. Aside from ensuring the UVB is not reduced, it has the added benefit that you do not need to move the lights around during cleaning. Also, as noted above, the T5s put out more light/UVB and use less energy. I used T8s, personally, because I happened to have a lot of T8 fixtures is stock.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hanging the lights whether from ceiling hooks or lamp stands has worked best for me. Aside from ensuring the UVB is not reduced, it has the added benefit that you do not need to move the lights around during cleaning. Also, as noted above, the T5s put out more light/UVB and use less energy. I used T8s, personally, because I happened to have a lot of T8 fixtures is stock.
Ceiling hooks and light swag chains are an excellent way of being able to quickly and easily raise or lower your light.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I too hang the basking floodlight, CHE and UVB tube fixtures from the ceiling of my RT's closed PVC chamber "ceiling." I screw cup hooks into the PVC and use decorative chain to raise and lower as necessary. I live in Connecticut, so four seasons requires some minor tweaking at times. I also hang plants from cup hooks screwed into the top. It looks nice, creates dangling vegetation, eliminates trampling and help keeps the humidity up.

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
I too hang the basking floodlight, CHE and UVB tube fixtures from the ceiling of my RT's closed PVC chamber "ceiling." I screw cup hooks into the PVC and use decorative chain to raise and lower as necessary. I live in Connecticut, so four seasons requires some minor tweaking at times. I also hang plants from cup hooks screwed into the top. It looks nice, creates dangling vegetation, eliminates trampling and help keeps the humidity up.
I'm in roughly the same neck of the woods. Would you mind sharing where you found the expanded PVC? I saw 1/2" on Home Depot site, but it doesn't look to be available in the stores. I think 3/4 would be better anyway. I noticed an earlier post you made about Exp PVC and there was also a post a short while ago by a member with an 'incredible' table top enclosure made out of Exp PVC, i'm feeling inspired. I'll maybe make trip to a couple of the nearby home depots this w/e

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I'm in roughly the same neck of the woods. Would you mind sharing where you found the expanded PVC? I saw 1/2" on Home Depot site, but it doesn't look to be available in the stores. I think 3/4 would be better anyway. I noticed an earlier post you made about Exp PVC and there was also a post a short while ago by a member with an 'incredible' table top enclosure made out of Exp PVC, i'm feeling inspired. I'll maybe make trip to a couple of the nearby home depots this w/e
I used ½" that I found at Home Depot (Uncasville, CT). ¾" isn't necessary. Be aware that it is quite messy when you cut it, but it is so worth it. I finally can stop worrying constantly about humidity. Of course mine is a closed chamber. I highly recommend over a tortoise table here in CT.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
Thank you for the info. Walnut is currently in a table top (consisting of two of those 'tortoise homes' combined end-to-end). Its not nearly as large as I'd like, but its something I'm working to correct. So far, the ambient humidity hovers between 40-60%. This particular set up has not seen a full summer, yet, but given CT and our famous Hazy Hot & Humid days, I would imagine the humidity may reach well above 80%. The enclosed area (which serves as a humid hide) is around 70%). I have a couple of aquariums going in the same small room so it helps with humidity. Ambient air temps are 65-75 during the day and down to 60-65 during the night. Of course summer will raise everything by about 10 degrees. So, it does the job, but it looks like crap and I would like to go bigger (if my wife doesn't throw me out first)