UVB Levels for Hermanns

Status
Not open for further replies.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon, Portugal
I ralize alot of people are using the "new" mercury Vapor Lamps (MVL) like the T-Rex, but for the rest of us still using compacts or long tube UVB lamps, what would be the right UVB output (I'm specially wondering on the levels for a THH hatchling)?

I currently use an Exo-Terra 13W (They have each model in 26w or 13w) Repti Glo 5.0 Compact (they also have 2.0 and 10.0) - link to they're compacts here: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/compact_fluorescent_bulbs.php

Does anyone have any experience with these lamps? I keep some plants inside the enclosure and they grow (slowly, but they do grow). The lamp is suppost to be effective up to 30cm (12") away from the subject, but I wanted to be sure it provides the right amount of UVB output in the first place.

Thanks,
Tiago

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Forgot to mention that this doubt grew on my mind after reading this on a moderator's post over at the SW site: "the number 5.0 indicates the amount of UV emitted from the tube, the higher the number the higher the UV output is, 8.0 is really the minimum required for tortoises."

So there. Any thoughts on this?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Check this website out Tiago http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
It depends on species as to how much UVB they need, but I think with Testudo 8.0 would be minimum I'd go with.

Danny

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
egyptiandan said:
Check this website out Tiago http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
It depends on species as to how much UVB they need, but I think with Testudo 8.0 would be minimum I'd go with.

Danny

Thanks Danny. I actually checked that website before posting here. They mention something about Torts being in the "sun worshipers" category, I think.

So I see I have a predicament: either I replace my 2 month old 5.0 compact by a 10.0 or I upgrade to a MVL like the T-Rex...

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
For the record, I changed my 13w Repti Glo 5.0 UVB compact with a 13w Repti Glo 10.0 UVB compact and the tort is, aparently, reacting to it: it now basks longer (2 aditional hours more or less everyday).

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am not sure if it is the same with torts as bearded dragons, but testing has showed that the ReptiGlo 10 has caused problems with their eyes as well as other health problems. They are saying that the ReptiSun 10 is ok with a bright light to go with it and ReptiGlo 8 is ok. And the Megaray is ok. I will see if I can find the site to show the tests,etc. I decided to replace all my ReptiGlos with ReptiSuns.
Patsy

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
i use a 5.0 15w Reptiglo uvb strip light, and its changed every 6-8 months

Status
Not open for further replies.