1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Uvb light help

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by Sam1993, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Sam1993

Sam1993 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Pennsylvania
    Hello I'm new here I got a 2 year old sulcata and I got the arcadia 12% desert t5
    For him with the arcadia reflector can someone tell me at what distance i should install it ?
  2. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I always need to state the disclaimer - your really need a solarmeter 6.5 to be able to set you light correctly and ensure it is putting out the right amount of UVB. Lights do vary, bulb to bulb and the type and quality of fixture can make a great difference as well. The meter will also be a way to tell when the output drops and the fixture needs to be lowered and eventually when it needs to be replaced.

With that said... IF you got the arcadia bulb and fixture along with the mirrored reflector, normally a height of 16" - 18" will give a UVI of 3-4.
  3. Sam1993

Sam1993 New Member

Pennsylvania
    Thank u very much I'm gonna buy one on amazon and till it comes I will install it at 16 thx for fast answer thx thx
  4. Sam1993

Sam1993 New Member

Pennsylvania
    it's amazing for me that I can already see a big change... my sulcata is way more active and eats a lot more since i changed from compact to the t5 tubes
    EllieMay and SuIcata like this.
  5. EllieMay

EllieMay Well-Known Member

East Texas
    Hello and Welcome! We would love to see some pics of your Sulcata and his setup. This forum is full of amazing info and experienced members who are willing to share their knowledge in the interest of happy torting :)
  6. DanB

DanB Active Member

South Florida
    This one??
  7. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    No, Dan. That one is only a 7% UVB tube and 12" long, 7 watt. That would have to be a lot closer to get a 3-4 UVI. I have not used that one so I don't know a good distance estimate.