Uvb light

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, the enclosure needs to be bigger. Also, it looks like that's a red light, no? Sometimes the red color makes substrate look like something edible to tortoises. I wouldn't use a red light. Besides that, red lights AREN'T UVB lights.

I have another suggestion: That substrate is awfully rough for such a small tortoise to have to walk on. Can you find something finer, smoother to use instead?

Leonardo the tort

Turkey
In my opinion, the enclosure needs to be bigger. Also, it looks like that's a red light, no? Sometimes the red color makes substrate look like something edible to tortoises. I wouldn't use a red light. Besides that, red lights AREN'T UVB lights.
I have another suggestion: That substrate is awfully rough for such a small tortoise to have to walk on. Can you find something finer, smoother to use instead?
Yes ill put rocks down so he can walk easily and i fount this light as exo light (tortoise Lizard etc.) it says sun glo and good for these species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Package directions don't always tell the truth. That's NOT a UVB light and it's mounted up too high to be giving off much heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And this is the light
False advertising.

I would not use that bulb over a tortoise, and it is not going to meet your tortoises UV needs.

I would also not let him run around loose. That is likely to end in disaster. Make his enclosure the correct size and have the correct lighting and he can run around safely in his enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I see you are in TURKEY.
Can your tortoise spend a few hours of supervised time outside during the week?
(Not in that aquarium outside or he could overheat)
If he can have a few hours of real sunshine, you'll be o.k. and you can concentrate on just keeping him warm.
I can't tell what type of tortoise. But if you check out our foods list for the species, you'll find suitable foods. Hopefully ones you can find in your area.

Leonardo the tort

Turkey
False advertising.

I would not use that bulb over a tortoise, and it is not going to meet your tortoises UV needs.

I would also not let him run around loose. That is likely to end in disaster. Make his enclosure the correct size and have the correct lighting and he can run around safely in his enclosure.
Thank you but could you please suggest me the light what i need? And a right enclosure for my tort?

Leonardo the tort

Turkey
I see you are in TURKEY.
Can your tortoise spend a few hours of supervised time outside during the week?
(Not in that aquarium outside or he could overheat)
If he can have a few hours of real sunshine, you'll be o.k. and you can concentrate on just keeping him warm.
I can't tell what type of tortoise. But if you check out our foods list for the species, you'll find suitable foods. Hopefully ones you can find in your area.
Thank you for responding but these months are really rainy and cold in Turkey and my tort is greek so i read that i can feed him by giving these foods with cucumber, tomato.etc

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you for responding but these months are really rainy and cold in Turkey and my tort is greek so i read that i can feed him by giving these foods with cucumber, tomato.etc
No.
I know he WILL EAT tomato and cucumber. But these are both foods that should be avoided for your tortoise. Cucumber is low in nutrients and will give your tortoise stomach issues and runny poop. Tomatoes are fruit and are too sugary and also full of liquid. Same as the cucumber.
These might be a special treat to offer once every couple of weeks. But they shouldn't be a staple food.
Check out the link that has been provided.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
"Tomatoes are fruit and are too sugary and also full of liquid."

So why is liquid bad? Most if not all vegetable foods are largely H2O. When we soak our pets or give them H2O dishes isn't that for the H2O they'll drink besides the soaking? Why not get it from their food as well:confused:?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Tomatoes are fruit and are too sugary and also full of liquid."

So why is liquid bad? Most if not all vegetable foods are largely H2O. When we soak our pets or give them H2O dishes isn't that for the H2O they'll drink besides the soaking? Why not get it from their food as well:confused:?
It is bad as a main food source because when they fill their stomach with these types of foods, they aren't filling their stomachs with the sort of high fiber, high calcium foods that they should be.