UVB lighting... Just to clarify

MilesD47

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My wife and I recently got our first tortoise (red foot hatchling). We did a ton of research, set up a nice little nursery habitat for it while I design and build his (or her?) permanent home. However, one thing we never looked into so incredibly deeply was uvb lighting. I mean, we knew we needed it, but our plan included our 3 dome lights, one day heat, one night heat, one uvb...

Well, we ordered the uvb bulb on Amazon and it arrived today... However, after ordering weve read SOOOO many posts about coiled bulbs and the dangers... So I've not put it in and I'm looking into the most cost effective way to do it right. Ive attached a photo of what came today... This is the type that can, possibly, hurt our little buddy isn't it?

Just figured I'd ask here to get some experienced opinions... I'd rather order something safer than risk anything.

Thanks everyone! 20180818_133435.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. That is the bad one. I wouldn't use any CFL over a tortoise or any other reptile. They are not effective UV sources anyway.

Someone who keeps RFs should advise on the specifics, but most of them don't like brights lights, and colored lights shouldn't be used over tortoises. The best way to maintain ambient temps is with a radiant heat panel set on a thermostat. Also, I don't think RFs need a lot of UV if they are getting some good D3 in their diet, but I'll defer to those more experienced than me with this species.

MilesD47

Ohio
Thanks for the reply! The red night heat lamp isn't good for him either?

We are building the permanent habitat with ceramic heaters... Might need to look into getting it sooner for night time. Our set up keeps the basking area at 90-95 and the ambient area at 80

MilesD47

Ohio
I'm very interested in hearing from some experienced RF keepers, what I've read is all conflicting, but some sources say they are good with low (65ish) night temperatures, if that is true and wont hurt him any we would be able to ditch the night lamp all together. Our home never gets cooler than 70

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the reply! The red night heat lamp isn't good for him either?

We are building the permanent habitat with ceramic heaters... Might need to look into getting it sooner for night time. Our set up keeps the basking area at 90-95 and the ambient area at 80
Correct. No red bulbs for any tortoises species. Ceramic heating elements can work but they concentrate a lot of heat into a very small area. This causes hot spots and carapace desiccation which leads to pyramiding. Radiant heat panels spread the heat out and work much better.

MilesD47

Ohio
Correct. No red bulbs for any tortoises species. Ceramic heating elements can work but they concentrate a lot of heat into a very small area. This causes hot spots and carapace desiccation which leads to pyramiding. Radiant heat panels spread the heat out and work much better.
Thanks! The the red bulb is out like baseball player in a squeeze play!

We are looking into the radiant panels too, thanks for the tip!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have this light and fixture over my three year old Yellowfooted tortoise's enclosure:

OS5-24_T5_HO_ReptiSun_10.0_UVB.jpg

LAR070_large.jpg

I don't need any additional heat because the ballast (?) puts off enough heat to keep the enclosure at the right temperature (it's a covered enclosure).

He's been raised this way his whole life and he's smooth and healthy.
YF baby 3-20-18.jpg

MilesD47

Ohio
I have this light and fixture over my three year old Yellowfooted tortoise's enclosure:

OS5-24_T5_HO_ReptiSun_10.0_UVB.jpg

LAR070_large.jpg

I don't need any additional heat because the ballast (?) puts off enough heat to keep the enclosure at the right temperature (it's a covered enclosure).

He's been raised this way his whole life and he's smooth and healthy.
View attachment 248733
Does that box come with the fixture/cover as well? I saw those online.

What temp does it get your enclosure to, and what do you do for heating when it's off, like at night?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Depends on where you buy it . Some places sell them together. Look on lightyourreptiles.com. They sell them as a unit.

for night heat without light, you use either a radiant heat panel or a ceramic heat emitter.