UVB lighting

Ivan'sMom

I have a Russian tortoises in a 40 gallon tank. Is one 18" UVB tube light enough for the tank or should I get a second one. Does Ivan need to be directly under the light for its benefits?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
One is enough. But what kind is it? 5.0? 10.0? HO? The height above the tortoise is important but depends upon the type

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hello, I know you didn't ask about this specifically but a 40 gallon is much too small for a full grown Russian tortoise. I recommend upgrading the enclosure size first.

I do have a 110 gallon laying around that I can offer to you or anyone. For free of course. However I feel that would be too small as well. By the way I'm in Southern California if anyone wants it? Pm me.

Ivan'sMom

One is enough. But what kind is it? 5.0? 10.0? HO? The height above the tortoise is important but depends upon the type
It is a desert series 50 T8 flourescent bulb that says it provides UVB. And it is 15 watt

Ivan'sMom

Hello, I know you didn't ask about this specifically but a 40 gallon is much too small for a full grown Russian tortoise. I recommend upgrading the enclosure size first.

I do have a 110 gallon laying around that I can offer to you or anyone. For free of course. However I feel that would be too small as well. By the way I'm in Southern California if anyone wants it? Pm me.
He is not full grown at this point I got him about four months ago and immediately room him to the vet they say he is about five years old. He is just under a pound and about five inches long. I know the tank I have will only last for a bit just want to research and decide what is the best habitat to get. Would love to set him up outside but 1 am in Connecticut and 2 I am in an apartment.

Ivan'sMom

I have read several....most have told me six to eight for males. Up to ten for females. Thanks for the offer for the tank just don't know how to get it to CT. I am thinking his next tank will be something without glass.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi,
I have never used a tube but I like the mercury vapour bulbs (MVB) which give heat light and uvb in one bulb, so just one ceramic bulb holder/wide dome needed and you can adjust the temp by raising or lowering the bulb - but that's just my personal preference for ease of use. If you can post some pics of your set up, members may be able to advise you better on your tube.
When you do upgrade your enclosure I have seen a minimum size of 4' x 8' recommended for smallish sized torts, so the bigger floor space the better as they are wandering animals by nature. Covered enclosures are better for controlling the temps and also humidity which I believe Russians need.
There is a lot of out of date information on the internet, so in the event of contradictory advice I would go with what I read here as many of the experienced keepers here have been involved in research and thankfully share their tried and tested methods with us.

Ivan'sMom

Thanks I am looking into an enclosure that does not have clear sides because the glass confuses him. One I am looking into is three feet by four feet. Part of that measurement includes a little den along one side though. The internet can definitely be overwhelming with conflicting info. I read about the bulbs that offered the heat and uvb but I picked this one. Maybe your bulb would be better because then he would be directly under it more. I can look into when it's time to replace it.