UVB lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
Is a 5.0 UVB compact fluorescent bulb bad to use. I heard some type of bulb can blind turtles.. Is this one of them? Please help!

image-264233329.png

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I was told the florescent tube UVB light were the best :) because they put out more overall UVB throughout the enclosure

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
DanaLachney said:
I was told the florescent tube UVB light were the best :) because they put out more overall UVB throughout the enclosure

Okay good! Thank you!! I saw your post and it freaked me out about if I have a good one or not! Thank you!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would only add...that if you use that style of bulb please be sure to use the correct hood fixture that allows it to set sideways and not in a dome as that creates the improper use of the bulb :D

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I would only add...that if you use that style of bulb please be sure to use the correct hood fixture that allows it to set sideways and not in a dome as that creates the improper use of the bulb :D

I didn't buy it :D

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
ascott said:

Why wouldnt a dome work??

Akronic

5 Year Member
yeah that makes no sense, ever hood/light fixture for reptiles are practically domed unless you are talking about using the ones that are flared out more, i use a zoo-med 10" deluxe dimmable hood for my 150w ceramic heater, it has a build in reostat. but i run the zoo med combo deep dome (NOT THE MINI) and i put 2-26w 10.0 desert bulbs and it works great. we aren't growin pot here, the distribution of lumens is not nearly as crucuial, and if you buy the screw in CFL DONT get the curly Q ones, they suck and dont emit as much UVA/B as the more veritcal ones(not the longer 18-24") linear. anyway, the domes will work fine for CFL UVA/B distribution

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Akronic said:
yeah that makes no sense, ever hood/light fixture for reptiles are practically domed unless you are talking about using the ones that are flared out more, i use a zoo-med 10" deluxe dimmable hood for my 150w ceramic heater, it has a build in reostat. but i run the zoo med combo deep dome (NOT THE MINI) and i put 2-26w 10.0 desert bulbs and it works great. we aren't growin pot here, the distribution of lumens is not nearly as crucuial, and if you buy the screw in CFL DONT get the curly Q ones, they suck and dont emit as much UVA/B as the more veritcal ones(not the longer 18-24") linear. anyway, the domes will work fine for CFL UVA/B distribution

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

The CFL that come in a short tube should be mounted in an aquarium hood fixture so they can sit sideways. It has been determined that they concentrate the UV out the end of the tube and sometimes this harms the baby tortoises eyes. "They" may have fixed the bulbs now, but it isn't easy to know if you have an old style or a newer, fixed one.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

The CFL that come in a short tube should be mounted in an aquarium hood fixture so they can sit sideways. It has been determined that they concentrate the UV out the end of the tube and sometimes this harms the baby tortoises eyes. "They" may have fixed the bulbs now, but it isn't easy to know if you have an old style or a newer, fixed one.

Soo I should keep it sideways is what your saying?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The problem with using the domes with CFLs has to do with the reflective nature of the domes. Aluminum is a great reflector, and the result is higher levels of UVB light under the dome. I believe some of the Zoo Med domes have white paint on the inside - they should be safe to use with CFL, as long as you follow all other instructions; I believe this is what the lamp instructions actually recommend. I would not use an aquarium style hood if it had any type of shiny metallic reflector for the same reason. Or you can use the lamp without any reflector.

Akronic

5 Year Member
the screw-in style UVB like the zoomed Reptisun 10.0 (which is not the curly one) works well in aluminum domes, give off pactically no heat but i find it works best to light my feed station where i dont want the heat that will cause the greens to dry up but i want the DIRECT spot of the UVB. i also use the powersun as a basking light but the idea of using 18-36" flourescents fixture over a table might work. i just stick w/ the spot/flood hoods all w/ ceramic base. and my zoo med combo deep dome is Aluminum. they just came out w/ a larger version w/ 8" domes its on order. i plan on using the 2-reptisun 10.0 in the Mini combo dome and then put the powersuns in the larger dual dome. and then a large flood 10" dimmable for the CHE.

how do i post pics along w/ my post? is there an advanced setting for attachments?

wildak

5 Year Member
The lastest and greatest thing in the reptile Tool Box the past several years have been Affordable light meters and temp guns with a laser pointer.

The light meters measure different light spectrums and intensity and tell you how much uvb/uva you have at set distances. There's a site somewhere that you can look up and see the uva/uvb in a specific country or range and fit your reptile to that number and still do a little calculating on your own to factor in what type of animal you have and their daytime habits. it's a great idea and is leaps and bounds from the past and just guessing.

Also You can tell when to replace your bulbs or move them closer as they get older.They still go for a couple hundred dollars but well worth it to me.

I bought an automotive temp gun with laser from Sears (Craftsman) 5 years ago for $80 and it is the most used reptile tool I have. Just point and shoot.

15 years ago both of these items would have cost $500 and up easy.

And yes I use the new style compacts in one small quarantine enclosure where a bigger light just won't work. But everything has long tubes and mercury vapor bulbs depending on species.

Hope all this jabbering helps
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.