UVB question

Seth Tyler

So, I'm working on enclosing the tank which my sulcata lives in to hold humidity. I've got glass coverings as well as shower curtains to cover the top with. I've suspending his heat lamps inside the tank (it's 18 inches tall so there is plenty of space for the lamp), but the UVB light doesn't have a spot to hang. The lamp has a little hook on the top so you can use it to hang. The UVB is more boxy and although possible yo suspend, it would prove challenging. I was considering just placing it on top of the glass, but I'm not sure if my sulcata will get the full UVB ray if I do that. Do the UVB rays all make it through glass? Or does it block out some of them? That is my main question and concern here moving forward. Let me know if you guys know, thanks!

- Seth

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yeah, the glass filters out the rays, so you don't want to do that. I hang my fixtures by the cord (not recommended) and haven't had any problems doing so for many, many years. You can jury rig some sort of hanger with wire. Be inventive.

Seth Tyler

awesome this helps me in building his environment 100% I figured it was a possibility so I'll come up with something and get through it haha. And yea hanging by the cords is a no no, I luckily have a metal hanger on the actual lamp that I can use instead. I really get finicky with fire hazards, I work for a fire restoration company so I hear plenty of electrical fire stories!