UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoshi

10 Year Member!
So I'm ordering a zoo med 10.0 UVB from Amazon. Since I live in India, it's being shipped to a friend in the US who will ship it to me. My concern is I may not get a fixture/light holder that I can fit the tube into here.

I couldn't find a complete set (tube + fixture) on Amazon. Can anyone help me with that?

I have a voltage converter from 220 to 110 so I don't think the tube will burst.

Cheers!

Also - the day temperature here is between 75-85 ... some UVB lamps are basking lamps as well. In this temp ... i don't think I need a basking lamp?

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
converters should work for your fluorescent tube i think... But i think u need a transformer for that. Remember reading somewhere that converter causes instability or something like that. If you cant find a fixture thats 110volts as well, your best bet is to buy it online. But since you have access to direct sunlight (the best source of UVB), the UVB tube is not really needed.

You will probably need a basking lamp to bump the temp up to 90-95. The torts digests food better at that temp. Indoors, you will probably need them, since your torts avoid the area exposed to sunlight... they may even favour the lamp more? Trial and error I suppose. Maybe you should use a camcorder to observe their behaviour while you are away? This way, you will know if they're active or bask at all.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I really don't like the tube UVB bulbs. They don't emit lots of UV rays (even the 10.0 models), are more expensive in the long run, and are honestly just crappy compared to mercury vapor bulbs. The MVB's emit more UVB and UVA rays, give lots of heat, so it's basically a 3-in-1 bulb. Also, they have a longer lifespan than the fluorescent bulbs (some reptile keepers still have working Megarays after 2 years!) and are also more psychiologically beneficial to tortoises. I know of a turtle keeper who had an alligator snapper that refused to eat or behave normally until a Megaray MVB was installed in the setup. Also, the MVB's are the closest bulb to the sun and are truly something useful when your tortoises are indoors. They also come in bigger wattages (you can get 300w models at special suppliers) so are much more efficient at mantaining proper temperatures.

Again, this is just my opinion. I know people will have different ideas; this is just what I recommend and what I think is right.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Tony, could you post a link to a good one?
Thanks NAy

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Hi-

I sell the US Powersun MV bulbs and can ship direct to you in India. You will just have to convert the volts and the bulb will have no warranty, this would be the same for any bulb bought in the US and used outside of the US.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I did a web search for "110v/220v t8 fluorescent fixture india" and got MANY hits. I'm sure you could find something locally that would work with either voltage.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Nay said:
Tony, could you post a link to a good one?
Thanks NAy

The newest and best bulb is the Megaray, which I think is generally better off for multiple groups of tortoises. For a single tortoise or a small enclosure, you would be better off with a T-rex Active UV Heat, Zoo med Powersun, or an Exo-terra Solar Glo.
Here are three links;
http://www.thefind.com/pets/browse-t~rex-active-uv-heat-bulb
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=74
http://www.turtlesquad.com/exoterra-solar-glo-160-w160.html
Here's a link to a Megaray if you're interested though;
http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php

Starry night

5 Year Member
I've used the MVB myself and my animals did not seem to care for them. I've spoken with a well known breeder and all I use is the reptisun 10.0 bulb with a full spectrum bulb and then a 100 watt heat lamp at one end of my enclosure and it's been doing fine for me. I've seen those MVB bulbs lose strength after only a few months but they bulb still works. I do change out to a new 10.0 bulb every 4 months so that's about 80 dollars a year. I also know of a breeder of Sri Lankans that uses only 5.0 bulbs and still does good with those. Everyone has different likes I guess and it all depends on your area and your animals likes and dislikes.

hoshi

10 Year Member!
Coastal - what do you charge? Do they come with the fixture too? You can PM me the price if you wish.

HLogic - those hits are of Chinese companies and major traders in India - not retailers. UVB tubes are not on the market here as exotic pets are not common.

-
Are tubes better than bulbs? I have a 5.0 UVB Zoo Med tube that was sent to me .. I haven't put it up yet as I'm building the pen and also looking for a fixture that it will sit in. Is a 5.0 too little?

I am tempted to go with a UVB alone and then a basking spot lamp -- simply because the summers here are VERY HOT and I want to see if he really needs the basking lamp.

The Megaray page ships 120V to India ... but it's kinda expensive, is it?

Thanks everyone.

hoshi

10 Year Member!
I meant 220V -- its $86

--

Also - My pen is 8x2 --- I want half of it to be warm with UVB .. so would one 100W MVB bulb or 10.0 tube be sufficient for a 4x2 space?

geekinpink

5 Year Member
isn't a 100W too hot to use if we consider the weather there? I only use 60 watts bec it's hot here. I even turn it off during high noon (12nn - 4pm) they don't go near the basking spot during that time. (save electricity hee hee)

Status
Not open for further replies.