Vegan dog biscuits for tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
My friend feeds her tortoise vegan dog biscuits?? Is this safe?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
"vegan dog biscuit" in itself cracks me up...

Is she feeding this as a staple in the diet? Or, is she offering this occasionally as a snack?

My first guess would be to stay away from a product like that. However, I would need to look at its ingredients to get a concrete opinion on the use of it.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Team Gomberg said:
"vegan dog biscuit" in itself cracks me up...

Is she feeding this as a staple in the diet? Or, is she offering this occasionally as a snack?

My first guess would be to stay away from a product like that. However, I would need to look at its ingredients to get a concrete opinion on the use of it.

Yeah, I wouldn't give that to a dog. Dogs are not herbivorous animals. They are carnivores that eat mostly meat. They may eat more vegetation than cats, which are even more strictly carnivorous, but they are by no means suited to a "vegan" diet.

As for the tortoise, I suppose it depends on the ingredients, but I would doubt if it's suitable for them, either.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
ra94131 said:
A little off topic, but your question made me curious...

http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/vegetarian-cats-and-dogs.aspx

Does that sound like PETA promoting animal cruelty to anyone else? (I guess you'd have to consider eliminating meat from a largely carnivorous animal's diet cruel, but I personally do.)

Ra, I agree with you. PETA may claim they want to prevent animal cruelty, but if they don't want carnivores to eat meat, then they don't care about their welfare. The article's point about the type of meat is a valid one, but the bottom line is that predators must eat other animals to stay healthy.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
After reading the article,

It's true about pet kibble. It's full of junk.

However, the vegan part?? LOL no way.

I'm a RAW diet (prey model version) feeder for our cat and was for our great danes. I wouldn't feed kibble let alone a vegan diet! oh my..

argus333

5 Year Member
dogs have food allergies as well. one of my bulldogs could only eat vegetarian dog food. he was allergic to any an all meat products. he lived to 12.5. however which is really old for a english bulldog. he also ate mazuri tortoise chow for treats!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
argus333 said:
dogs have food allergies as well. one of my bulldogs could only eat vegetarian dog food. he was allergic to any an all meat products. he lived to 12.5. however which is really old for a english bulldog. he also ate mazuri tortoise chow for treats!

Amazing!!!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
argus333 said:

How do you know he was allergic to meat? What signs or symptoms did he exhibit? And if he was allergic, could it have been to additives, like fillers, preservatives, or flavor enhancers?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
There is so much misinformation here on dog and cat feeding :(. But it has nothing to do with the OP.....

Depends on the biscuits. I buy food called "Primal" for my dogs and cats. I don't hesitate to give a little to the torts and box turtles. Made completely out of meat, fruit and veggies....
But every kind of food has a junk version. Look at the ingredients, or better yet, post them here.

argus333

5 Year Member
yup allgery test. we tried everything.. as soon as he got off the beef, everything got better. face was always swollen' skin was crusty and hard and smelled bad, had really bad gas all the time.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
No do not feed your tortoise dog food.
Do research, find out what area of the world your tortoise species comes from, then learn what they eat in the different seasons in the wild and try to recreate that with the best quality you can.
Cooked mixed vegetables from a can or from a frozen bag are not bad, yes they also need grass fiber but be careful not to over do it on the plant protein, again it really depends on their species.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
This stuff appears periodically and in my opinion useless if not dangerous to the health of your animals. It is formulated by people with no real knowledge of animal nutrition but with a belief that all meat is bad. An example of this is vegan cat food that lacks taurine (found in meat and seafood) which is essential to cat health and without which results in blindness and muscular problems. What effect it would have torts is unknown and at best questionable.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
argus333 said:
yup allgery test. we tried everything.. as soon as he got off the beef, everything got better. face was always swollen' skin was crusty and hard and smelled bad, had really bad gas all the time.

Very interesting. A carnivore that can't eat meat is certainly unusual. Bulldogs and some other breeds have been so altered from their wolfish ancestors, that they can no longer function normally. That immune response may be due to inbreeding, developmental issues, or both. Sorry your pooch had to go through that, but I'm glad you've discovered that feeding your dog a vegetarian diet helps avoid these allergic reactions.

I wonder, though: maybe he would do well eating chicken instead of beef.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
One of my cousins had a bulldog with the exact same meat allergy. I hate what they've done to dogs...We have breeders breeding great danes so large and far away from the natural wolf ancestor, that they're hearts can no longer support them, or dogs so small that something as simple as tripping kills them.
Its all directly linked to inbreeding....

Status
Not open for further replies.