Very interesting read

Skip K

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Very cool! Maybe next they will tell us that our torts really do love us! ?
See my boxie post, Karen. I kept trying to figure out what “logical” reason the boxie would have for this behavior other than food/feeding being behind it…but I couldn’t. The boxie genuinely looks like he loves people. I wish I could talk to the people who initially raised him

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I need more information, like, did the ball smell of food? Maybe the tortoise was just naturally tasting/biting the ball to see if it was food. The ball is being offered to him. My tortoise goes straight for my toenail polish and would bite my toes if I let him. So what's the catch here? How does this have anything to do with memory?

Skip K

Virginia
I need more information, like, did the ball smell of food? Maybe the tortoise was just naturally tasting/biting the ball to see if it was food. The ball is being offered to him. My tortoise goes straight for my toenail polish and would bite my toes if I let him. So what's the catch here? How does this have anything to do with memory?
Tammy…in the vid if you look closely they use the same technique trainers use for most animals…they receive a treat for doing the test correctly. Positive reinforcement. The torts remember if they do the test correctly…they receive a treat ( this is especially telling after a two month break in training for the torts to pick up where they left off). This also goes a long way toward debunking the myth that animals are color blind. The theory that animals can see color is a theory I subscribe to

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
See my boxie post, Karen. I kept trying to figure out what “logical” reason the boxie would have for this behavior other than food/feeding being behind it…but I couldn’t. The boxie genuinely looks like he loves people. I wish I could talk to the people who initially raised him
Yes, I'd like to know if they did anything differently than usual.

I'm also really happy that our own Chris from Garden State Tortoise has him now. He will be a great species ambassador.