Vet check-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steeeew

5 Year Member
I was wondering if I should be taking my Sulcata for check ups. She's gone to the vet once for an upper respiratory about 8 months ago but I have not taken her since. Reading this forum got me to thinking that since a lot if illnesses don't show symptoms it might be a good idea to get her checked out at least once a year. Any thoughts?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most don't unless they see something that causes a visit. It's really up to you, not a bad thing, not always needed. Really do what will easy your mind. My leopard is 20 months old and has never been to a vet.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Its hard to say. The tricky part is finding a good vet who really does know what they're doing around herps. Sounds like you got that covered.

A lot of us are of the general consensus that most health issues are husbandry related. I.E. correct said issue, and in many cases, the problem will subside. Things like infections and surgery obviously require vet attention, but a lot of times, many of us are experienced enough to deal with things without taking the tortoise(s) to the vet every time there's an issue, or on a routine basis.

Worried about worms? No need to stress out the tortoise. Just bring them a fecal sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.