Vet visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akronic

5 Year Member
Well about a week ago i got my first Russian tortoise and i have been doing alot of research and i know it is always advised to take it in for a vet visit and also to check for parasites in the stool. where i live in Ak we have a few vet choices but NONE of them know a thing about reptiles. i was wondering since my new tortoise is acting fine, he's alert, active, eats alot, his stool and urates all look normal. what is the vet really going to do/prescribe if he has parasites in his stool cuz i know alot of the ones you get at Petco are WC. could i save myself some money and just buy Reptaid from carolina pet supply and give him a regular does to make sure i flush him of parasites? im probably gonna get alot of crap for not wanting to take him to the vet, but im laid off right now and if none of the vets even know very little about reptiles they said, so why waste my money......idk the nearest vet that doesnt even specilize in herps but will see them he said is 3hrs away. i was maybe gonna place an order through carolina pet supply and just get TNT, Reptaid (if advised) and some coir. right now he's in a 50 gal rubbermaid and he's doing really well it seems very active

Attachments

• PICT4788.JPG
    PICT4788.JPG
    596.8 KB · Views: 37

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Sorry to hear of your lay off....same here....anyways onto my opinion....if your tortoise is acting crazy healthy...great appetite....active...basking ...hydrated...pooping appears good..etc....I do not see a pressing need to take him to the vet simply for the sake of taking him to the vet.....some are absolute and say oh you have to and then there are folks that say why fix something that is not broken??

I would say if you should see any change to normal then act accordingly...keep in mind I am one of those people who believe why fix it if it ain't broke....?

Wait round and see what the others offer...:D

Akronic

5 Year Member
yeah same here, but i do plan on it if/when i get a female i can afford. cuz i want them both healthy.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I haven't got enough experience to say much other than you sure did get a cute one :D.... not as cute as mine.. but still pretty dang cute ;)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I will go O/T too and just say that he is one pretty tort :)

Jessie

5 Year Member
Very cute. :)
Also I didn't take mine to the vet until I seen a change, at that point I made an apt and it turned out he had hook worms. I'm sure glad I took him. But when I first got him he showed all the signs of a healthy tort. So maybe he had them before and they just weren't affecting him yet? Idk regardless I think that if you feel like you should take him in to see a vet I would. But if you don't feel the need to why would you?
Just my experience and opinion. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I don't take well acting tortoises to the Vet myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.