visiting with my CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxy-tortoise

5 Year Member
Hi. Im going to Prescott AZ in a few days from california, and i want to bring my california desert tortoise. would i get in trouble if i brought here with me to visit with somebody in arizona and came back with her a couple days later? ...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
We can't advise you to do it, as it would be illegal. That said, I am sure it happens all the time with no problems...just sayin' :rolleyes:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
While it is illegal to cross state lines with a CDT, in all honesty how would they know where it is from,and do they have a fruit and vegetable stop like they do between california and nevada?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know it would be fun and all....but I would leave your buddy safely at home....you never know what things can happen....and yes I believe there is a fruit station stop if memory serves me..? I am speaking from my opinion only.....now if there were some weird crazy emergency for the well being of a desert tort I would likely have a totally different opinion :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
It appears that if your tortoise was confiscated, as it might well be, it might also be euthanized (apparently, that decision is up to the bureaucrat-du-jour).

I wouldn't take the risk, myself.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Luckily here in Ca and Arizona if your desert tortoise is confiscated it is not euthanized. However, if it is confiscated in Arizona, good luck trying to get it back, they have SUCH strict guidelines...and if confiscated in California Fish and Game will generally turn it over to a rescue (through CTTC) where it will be subject to adoption.....there is always the chance that the rescue place will let you get it back after showing your permit form matches the sticker issued and on your tortoise, or they may not, as they may deem you "irresponsible" for not following the law????? So, with all of these variables....in my opinion :p , I would leave my little buddy to watch the homefront :D

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
dmmj said:
While it is illegal to cross state lines with a CDT, in all honesty how would they know where it is from,and do they have a fruit and vegetable stop like they do between california and nevada?

There is definitely an ag inspection check point on the I-8 coming from AZ and I almost always get stopped there. I've never had them search my vehicle but I'm usually working and in a marked company truck when I pass through. I wouldn't risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.