Vitamin calcium

Kimie

Location (City and/or State)
Danmark
How often do you give in vitamin and calcium on their food. I have heard they must have calcium every time on their food and vitamin once a month.

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
Depends on their total diet. If you’re feeding a well balanced diet with a lot of good weeds and they live outdoors they shouldn’t need it. I will supplement my adults in the winter when they are indoors and the food is limited. They’re eating mostly a variety of produce, Mazuri, and dried grasses in the cold months so i might supplement every other week. But in summer when they’re outdoors they never get it. For hatchlings it’s different. I will supplement maybe twice a week for the first two months. After that they usually go outside so I don’t worry about it. If they are indoors, with a limited diet and they’re in a growth phase I supplement. I also supplement if they are indoors and gravid. In all cases though it’s maybe once or twice a week. Never daily. Best thing to do, in my experience, is to keep them outdoors as much as possible and feed them a wide variety of foods and as much natural weeds and grasses as possible. In that case you’ll never need to supplement.

Kimie

Danmark
Depends on their total diet. If you’re feeding a well balanced diet with a lot of good weeds and they live outdoors they shouldn’t need it. I will supplement my adults in the winter when they are indoors and the food is limited. They’re eating mostly a variety of produce, Mazuri, and dried grasses in the cold months so i might supplement every other week. But in summer when they’re outdoors they never get it. For hatchlings it’s different. I will supplement maybe twice a week for the first two months. After that they usually go outside so I don’t worry about it. If they are indoors, with a limited diet and they’re in a growth phase I supplement. I also supplement if they are indoors and gravid. In all cases though it’s maybe once or twice a week. Never daily. Best thing to do, in my experience, is to keep them outdoors as much as possible and feed them a wide variety of foods and as much natural weeds and grasses as possible. In that case you’ll never need to supplement.

It's for my Kleinmanns and they go indoors. I mean they are about 3 years old

bonsai tortoise

5 Year Member
NJ
It's for my Kleinmanns and they go indoors. I mean they are about 3 years old
I have never kept Egyptian but would assume if you fed it the right foods and made sure you give it a good variety it’s better than supplementing on a regular basis. There’s no substitute for keeping a tortoise outdoors when the weather is favorable. I know some have had great success keeping them outdoors even for a more sensitive species like that. Having said that supplementing once in a while is not a bad thing. But I would defer to others who have more experience with that species.

Kimie

Danmark
I have never kept Egyptian but would assume if you fed it the right foods and made sure you give it a good variety it’s better than supplementing on a regular basis. There’s no substitute for keeping a tortoise outdoors when the weather is favorable. I know some have had great success keeping them outdoors even for a more sensitive species like that. Having said that supplementing once in a while is not a bad thing. But I would defer to others who have more experience with that species.

I'll never keep them out, I live in Eur and it's way too cold here.
I think I maby can give too much calcium if they get it every time on the food.
I try to give them good healthy diet and variety