Vivarium Or Table

Rafael Neves

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have a small 2 year old horsefield and i want to get her a new enclosure because the one i currently have for her is no longer suitable (table). I am considering getting either one of these, please let me know which you think is best
I have a table right now because i heard that tortoises could have issues breathing inside a viv and the transparent panel could leave them stressed but i am also hearing that table cnnot provide a variety of conditions essential for the development of a tortoise.
I live in London where it can get a little cold so i'm not sure if a table is suffice.
(I know that both enclosures are rather small, in summer she has access to a much bigger outdoor enclosure)

table: https://thetortoisehouse.co.uk/product/table-8/

vivarium: https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/vivexotic-repti-home-maxi-large-vivarium-grey

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! It's a bit tough question. As both enclosures are small (6x3 feet is a bare minimum) and won't suit a teen or adult tortoise.

Vivariums are better as they help to maintain proper humidity and temperatures inside and tortoise can't easily escape them (yes, Horsefields are great climbers and escape artists). The drawback is that the large enough vivariums are very expensive. Tortoises have no trouble breathing inside (vivariums are not hermetic and you let enough fresh air when doing cleaning, placing food dishes and so on). Transparent walls are not an issue as well, when enclosure is large enough and have proper temperatures and humidity.

You can achieve similar benefits with a tortoise table if you cover it with a portable greenhouse top (it's not very aestethicaly pleasing, though).

Regardless of the type, an enclosure should have proper heating and lightning setup: basking spot, UVB source and ambient heating and lightning.

Maybe, the most important is to decide whether you will hibernate (or more correct - brumate) your tortoise in the winter or keep it awake. For brumation you will need a small fridge and to follow some routines every year. To keep awake -a full-fledged spacious indoors enclosure.

Out of the two options you listed, I would go for the largest tortoise table without mesh lid and then add a cover on top. Other option is to look outside the pet products - for example at IKEA bookcases (they will require more DIY efforts, though).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a small 2 year old horsefield and i want to get her a new enclosure because the one i currently have for her is no longer suitable (table). I am considering getting either one of these, please let me know which you think is best
I have a table right now because i heard that tortoises could have issues breathing inside a viv and the transparent panel could leave them stressed but i am also hearing that table cnnot provide a variety of conditions essential for the development of a tortoise.
I live in London where it can get a little cold so i'm not sure if a table is suffice.
(I know that both enclosures are rather small, in summer she has access to a much bigger outdoor enclosure)

table: https://thetortoisehouse.co.uk/product/table-8/

vivarium: https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/vivexotic-repti-home-maxi-large-vivarium-grey
Both of the things you were told about vivariums are the old wrong info. They don't have any breathing issues and the glass does not stress them in any way. These are old often repeated myths.

The only way a table works is if the room conditions match what your tortoise needs. Is your room where the tortoise enclosure sits the correct temperature and humidity all the time all year long? If not, then you need a closed chamber, aka: viv. Trying to heat and humidify an open table is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof.

Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom for the correct care info: