Vomiting Herman’s

Totaylor

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale
New to tortoises. Bought a Herman’s male a week ago. 4” wide by 6” long shell. Age? He’s been active, eating greens and mazuri pellets, drinking pooping and peeing - especially when out exploring. Yesterday he didn’t appear to eat - and this morning he vomited what appeared to be food digest/pellet mash. His enclosure is outside under the roof eve and gets morning sun. We are in South Florida where it’s been in the 80s - 90s and 70% humidity or higher. Should I be concerned?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
New to tortoises. Bought a Herman’s male a week ago. 4” wide by 6” long shell. Age? He’s been active, eating greens and mazuri pellets, drinking pooping and peeing - especially when out exploring. Yesterday he didn’t appear to eat - and this morning he vomited what appeared to be food digest/pellet mash. His enclosure is outside under the roof eve and gets morning sun. We are in South Florida where it’s been in the 80s - 90s and 70% humidity or higher. Should I be concerned?
Where did you get him from? He could have parasites. A poop analysis would be needed to diagnose. Have you found a good tortoise knowledgeable vet near you yet?
I do not think vomiting is normal. I’m not familiar with Herman’s though. How is he doing today?

Totaylor

Fort Lauderdale
Got him from a reptile store locally. His activity level the day he vomited was normal. The next morning he was lethargic so took to my exotics vet first thing but it was too late and he passed. Our household is very sad. Thank you for your response. Thank you also for this web resource. It appears we did everything fine but clearly something went wrong.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Got him from a reptile store locally. His activity level the day he vomited was normal. The next morning he was lethargic so took to my exotics vet first thing but it was too late and he passed. Our household is very sad. Thank you for your response. Thank you also for this web resource. It appears we did everything fine but clearly something went wrong.
So sorry for your loss.

Totaylor

Fort Lauderdale
He was only allowed to roam on our screened lanai and supervised. I had just power washed the lanai the week before and have had a lot of rain since.

One thing the pet shop suggested was that he may have eaten the shredded coconut husk substrate (zoo med - says for tortoises). He had plenty of mazuri food and greens available at all times - which he ate readily. They only use / recommend a sparse layer of hay on the bottom of their glass tank. He loved to burry in the substrate I provided.

Bee62

Germany
He was only allowed to roam on our screened lanai and supervised. I had just power washed the lanai the week before and have had a lot of rain since.

One thing the pet shop suggested was that he may have eaten the shredded coconut husk substrate (zoo med - says for tortoises). He had plenty of mazuri food and greens available at all times - which he ate readily. They only use / recommend a sparse layer of hay on the bottom of their glass tank. He loved to burry in the substrate I provided.
I am sorry for your loss. Was it the tort in your avatar picture ? He or she was beautiful and big. Do you have more pics when he was still alive ?
Can it be that your tort got overheated or does he has every time shade in his outdoor enclosure ?

Totaylor

Fort Lauderdale
He was 4” wide by 6” long (shell). His enclosure only received morning sun. Temperatures day and night were within the species range.

Totaylor

Fort Lauderdale
He was 4” wide by 6” long (shell). His enclosure only received morning sun. Temperatures day and night were within the species range.