Washing tortoise

Ella4545

Location (City and/or State)
CA
My two little sulcatas are always dirty from eating , dirt or their poop. I soak them almost everyday and as much as they let me I’ll use a tooth brush to try to clean them up but there’s always stuck debris on their behind and under shell. What is the best way in removing this? I’ve had a few people say to use a little bit of soap, but I’m not too comfortable with that. Any other advice on cleaning dirty butts and bellies?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there. We will need pictures and information on how you are keeping them, substrate, temperature, lights, diet, before we can properly help you. Then we can comment and suggest changes. Thank you!

zovick

10 Year Member!
My two little sulcatas are always dirty from eating , dirt or their poop. I soak them almost everyday and as much as they let me I’ll use a tooth brush to try to clean them up but there’s always stuck debris on their behind and under shell. What is the best way in removing this? I’ve had a few people say to use a little bit of soap, but I’m not too comfortable with that. Any other advice on cleaning dirty butts and bellies?
Use a soft toothbrush and lukewarm water and just brush away at the debris until it is gone. I have done that for years with my tortoises to clean them off and it won't hurt the tortoise.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
My Sulcata get wash in the tub, I use the hand nozzle in the shower to remove any poo under his backside. Sometimes you will have to use your fingers to get it out. I raised 3 boys, would not be the first time I had poo on my hand.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Wet cottonwool buds for babies are good for getting under the shell at the back, and can be pushed quite firmly without falling apart.
Angie

Ella4545

CA
I use a soft-bristled toothbrush and warm water most of the time.

For stubborn crud on tortoise shells, I've also used white vinegar or Dawn dish soap, with plenty of rinsing afterward for either.

Jamie
I’ll try that that! It’s the “stubborn crud” in their grooves and behind that drive me crazy!