Watch & Win a EPT Hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. Oregon
Since my new group of EPT's arrived and it's looking like some of the females will nest soon, I will need to get rid of some of them and I thought that I'd do this.

Since the webcam is up and running, if anyone can tell me where they seen one of the females nesting, I will give them a hatchling when the time comes. Depending on how many hatch and are healthy, I'll continue this until they're gone. Of course I will have to require that you pay for shipping.

So, with that said, keep a close eye on any turtles wondering around and you could get a hatchling!

http://turtsntorts.com/tntcam/tntcam.htm

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
thanks for posting this, chucky! i tried it earlier and the cam works great!
i don't have room for a turtle but im going to keep my eye out anyway.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Of course you have room for a Eastern Painted Turtle, they are only the size of a quarter :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Chucky said:
Of course you have room for a Eastern Painted Turtle, they are only the size of a quarter :)
Now, later it would go fine with my maps and whatever westerns I collect.:D

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Just wanted to give you all an update. Two of the EPT's have been roaming around on land today so keep an eye out for nesting!

Just a hint, they have both been hanging over to the top right of the screen in the darker greener area. Who knows?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I moved the camera up a little higher so you could get a better view looking down. Now all I need is a wide angle camera to get more of the whole enclosure.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( They don't like me. All they do is bask, when I am watching. :D :D

I tend to look at them a couple of times a day and the thing that has me curious is the water hyacinths. Now I don't have EPTs, but with my RES, Paints, and even the Asians a water hyacinth plants once in their ponds only has a life of maybe two days tops before it is gone. Your's always looks to be the same size bunch. Is it?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Chucky, I do want to let you know I enjoy watching your group. I tend to leave it up on the screen any more and then while I am doing house work or caring for critters I sneak peaks. My kids think I am crazy, but to me, it is relaxing. Thank you for having it showing. :)

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
They seem to leave the hyacinths alone for right now. I have seen them take nibbles here and there but so far most of them are ok. They like eating the hens & chicks that are growing over into the pond more.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
The rain has past(I think) so the webcam is back up but the temps have dropped from the 100+ down to the low 60's. What a drastic change in weather huh?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
May not have gotten to watch them in the rain, but it was nice of you to replace it with giving the site for the eagle nest viewings. Some time, when you have a chance, could you tell us what some of the plants are you have. The camera isn't clear enough for me to be positive on what I am seeing.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I'll have to go out and see if I left the tags on them. I do know the moss that's on the ground is the Irish Moss and also there are some Hens & Chicks scattered around.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Just an update, I found 2 turtles out and about on land the last 2 days so maybe they are scouting for a nesting place. One of them I found later under the big bush that's on the upper left hand side of the video. No nest though :(

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Ok, here's your chance if you've been watching! I caught one of the females digging so I backed off and came back inside. She's digging as I type so maybe with some luck we might have some eggs. Anyone have an idea where she's at? Could mean a free hatchling!!!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Well I wonder wonder when it's gonna happen. Here's a couple pics of the 2 nests she's already dug yesterday and today and now she is digging another one right now. Maybe 3 times the charm ;D

6-29-08-s.jpg

Took her 5 hours to dig this one. It's just over an 1" in diameter and 3" deep.

6-30-08-s.jpg

This one she dug early this morning and left it.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Here's a real good clue....

Shes nesting right now!!! If she does lay eggs, the first person to PM me where she is gets a free hatchling!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D I knew as soon as I was unable to watch, she would start digging...lol. So did she lay this time?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
After digging 3 separate nest in 3 days, one of my females finally dug the 4th nest and laid her eggs! There were 7 eggs total with 3 broken ones at the bottom. Here's a few pics of the nest, the eggs, the broken eggs and in the incubator.
I must say the eggs were a lot bigger than what I expected. They were 1.25" long and .75" diameter. About twice as big as a jellybean!

BTW, did anyone catch here nesting on the webcam? She was in plain view the whole time for about 2 hours.

clean-ss.jpg

In the incubator

outofnest-s.jpg

Just out of the nest

broke2-s.jpg

Broken :(

nest3-s.jpg

The nest before we got the eggs... Hard to find if you don't look hard

stnb

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ventura, California
i cannot get my computer to load the video

I'd love to watch it just for the fun of it.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
stnb, there is no video this time. I was afraid to disturb her since she dug 4 separate nests. Everytime I walked out there, she was nesting again and I thought I was scaring her. When the other 4 start to nest, I'll try to get some videos if I can. RedfootNerd has some video of his Redfoot laying eggs I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.