Water changes...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
If my pump seems to be failing, how often should I change the water in my turtle tank?
It's a 20 gal aquarium only 1/2 full, only 1 resident: my Eastern mud.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I'm not sure there's a true formula. Do you feed him in the tank or in a container? How fast does the water turn?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well with fish aquariums its once a month with a good filter.
20 gallons is not that big and a turtle is usually pretty dirty, although my experience is with red ear sliders which is probably the dirtiest turtle.
If I had to guess without seeing how it's looking or the filter working, I would do at least once a month or twice a month if it gets really dirty.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm not sure there's a true formula. Do you feed him in the tank or in a container? How fast does the water turn?
No idea how fast the water turns.
I feed her in the tank, but I use a little net to scoop out the fragments she leaves.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
If I had NO pump at all, how often should I change the water? Or that that idea just nuts?

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
If I had NO pump at all, how often should I change the water? Or that that idea just nuts?

Not nuts. People do full water changes. My guess is maybe weekly if you fed in a separate container but that's just a guess.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio

I don't use any pumps or filters on hatchlings to 1 - 2 yr olds (depending on species size). I change the water out every 4 days, religiously.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Im
I don't use any pumps or filters on hatchlings to 1 - 2 yr olds (depending on species size). I change the water out every 4 days, religiously.
Interesting! Jacques is about 2 and a half, and is about 3 inches long.

When you do tank maintenance, do you clean out the tubing- like with a really long, flexible brush or something?

I am saving up to try and get Jacques a 55 gallon tank, and I REALLY don't want to have to buy a new filter for this small tank when I may not be using it very long.
Maybe it's time for me to learn how to MAKE my own filter!!!! I'm not very good at all this DIY stuff, but am willing to learn. :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Only you can know the answer . Get a test kit for your water . Change as much as needed.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Well, much to my chagrin, once I changed all the water and rinsed the algae out of the bag of carbon in the filter, it's working much better! DOH!!!
Still only about half as strong as it originally ran, but a lot better than it was.